Snowbird Ski Resort, Utah
Categories: Find Ski Resorts in Canada and United States, Find Ski Resorts in United States
Snowbird Ski Resort in Utah & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 3240ft/988m, total trails 169, closest airport 32mi/52km, lifts 13, lodging & more. Snowbird Ski Resort is located within the boundaries of the Wasatch National Forest in the Little Cottonwood Canyon, east of Salt Lake City, Utah. Long before skiing and snowboarding came to […]Read More
Snowbird Ski Resort in Utah & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 3240ft/988m, total trails 169, closest airport 32mi/52km, lifts 13, lodging & more.
Snowbird Ski Resort is located within the boundaries of the Wasatch National Forest in the Little Cottonwood Canyon, east of Salt Lake City, Utah.
Long before skiing and snowboarding came to the area, mining supported the region as silver was discovered in 1869. As the Emma Mine was being constructed along with two smelters, a community was beginning to form, and people were attracted to Little Cottonwood Canyon from far beyond the local Salt Lake City Area.
Growth in the community was incredible, reaching approximately 8000 people, 138 homes, shopping, hotels and even housing for workers. Despite the challenges of the terrain, a railroad was even constructed.
As the silver boom began to fade, so did the community and the final blow came to this community in a series of avalanches that eventually destroyed this once prosperous area.
Fast-forward to October 1969, to a party in Vail, Colorado where Ted Johnson, who envisioned a ski resort in Little Cottonwood Canyon, met Richard D Bass, an oilman from Texas and avid skier.
The two eventually became partners, and in December 1971, Snowbird Ski Resort opened with three chairlifts, a tram, the Lodge at Snowbird and the Snowbird Center. These men would guide Snowbird Ski Resort to continued growth over the years.
Eventually, Ted Johnson would retire, and Richard D Bass would continue to develop Snowbird Ski Resort into the four-season resort. Snowbird Ski Resort is known throughout the world for its incredible terrain, family-friendly atmosphere, great village vibe and its location within the valley surrounded by mountains.
In May 2014, it was announced that a new majority owner, Ian Cumming would begin to lead the future of Snowbird Ski Resort.
On the Slopes
- Snowbird Ski Resort has three unique areas, Gad Valley, Peruvian Gulch and the backside, which features Mineral Basin. There are seven bowls, including Thunder Bowl, Pipeline Bowl, and Bookend’s Bowl, with terrain that will definitely test your skill level.
- Snowbird Ski Resort has many unique features and here is one that will interest the destination skier and snowboarder. There is both a red tram and a blue tram that travels a vertical rise of 2900ft/884m and will take you from the base to the summit in 10 minutes.
- Snowbird Ski Resort is also well suited to a family-friendly experience with the designated terrain of the Baby Thunder Family Area.
- There is Night Skiing on the Chickadee Slope every Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday depending on snow conditions from 5:30 pm until 8:30 pm throughout the season.
- The Snowbird Terrain Park (aka Big Emma Terrain Park) is crafted with small to medium sized jumps and features jibs and rails for every type of terrain park enthusiast. The park is located off to the side on the middle portion of the Emma Run.
- The Snowbird Mountain School and their dedicated team of professional instructors are ready to provide you with all types of learning programs. The school offers lessons for children and adults that range from group lessons to private instruction where one-to-one support will help keep you focused on achieving your goals.
- The Mountain Host program offers complimentary ski tours daily at 9:30 am and 10:30 am to anyone with a valid lift ticket and an interest in getting familiar with the mountain. Tours depart from Snowbird Center Plaza, under the sign that reads “Free Guided Ski Tours”.
Off the Slopes
- Snowbird Ski Resort provides a complete village experience with shopping, dining, lodging, and more. The resort boasts 15 restaurants, 5 bars and four slope-side lodges that provide over 880 total rooms. The Cliff Lodge, The Lodge at Snowbird, The Inn, and Iron Blosam are well-positioned accommodations in the heart of Snowbird.
- There are several shopping outlets at Snowbird Ski Resort, including Wings for logo wear and Pipeline for your latest ski and snowboard apparel.
- Off-mountain activities include a ride on the Tram as a popular way to see the incredible terrain that skiers and snowboarders embrace. Snowshoeing is a great way to enjoy the outdoors or a Snowcat Skiing guided tour. There are also 2 or 3-hour snowmobiling tours. Call 801-947-8222 for more details.
- Camp Snowbird is a childcare facility that can accommodate children as young as 6 weeks to the age of 12. This center is licensed by the state and provides half and full day activities to keep your children engaged. Reservations can be made by calling 801-933-2256.
- If staying on the mountain is not an option for you then Sandy, Utah is only a short distance away at the end of the Little Cottonwood Canyon Road. In Sandy, you will find a countless number of lodging, dining and shopping choices.
- Snowbird Ski Resort provides a medical clinic and pharmacy in the event of an emergency.
- Snowbird Ski Resort not only provides transportation to and from the resort on the public UTA, Utah Transit Authority bus, but there is also the Parking Lot Shuttles and In-Resort Shuttles to get you around the ski resort.
Current Status: Open
3240 ft / 988 m
7760 ft / 2365 m
11000 ft / 3353 m
500 in / 1270 cm
Total Trails: 169
Beginner: 46 (27%)
Intermediate: 64 (38%)
Advanced: 31 (18%)
Expert: 28 (17%)
Terrain Parks: 1
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Parking: Free and Paid
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Salt Lake City UT, 32mi / 52km
Nearest Major City:
Salt Lake City UT, 27mi / 44km
Sandy UT, 12mi / 20km
Season Dates: Nov 18 to Apr 30
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 4:30pm : Night Skiing Wed-Fri-Sat 5:30pm to 8:30pm on Chickadee Lift : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: Select Nights
Total Lifts: 13
Express Quad Chairs: 6
Double Chairs: 4
Surface Lifts: 2
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Distance: 32 mi / 52 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Central Reservations: 1-800-232-9542
Direct Phone: 801-933-2222
Snow Phone: 801-933-2100