Snow Summit Ski Resort in California & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 1200ft/366m, total trails 31, closest airport 61mi/98km, lifts 16, & more. This family-friendly ski resort is located in the San Bernadino Mountain Range near Big Bear Lake in Southern California. Big Bear Lake is 6754ft/2059m above sea level, stretches 7mi/12km long and […]Read More
Snow Summit Ski Resort in California & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 1200ft/366m, total trails 31, closest airport 61mi/98km, lifts 16, & more.
This family-friendly ski resort is located in the San Bernadino Mountain Range near Big Bear Lake in Southern California. Big Bear Lake is 6754ft/2059m above sea level, stretches 7mi/12km long and at its’ widest point is 1mi/2km.
Big Bear Lake is classified as a city and is known as the first mountain recreation area in Southern California dating way back to 1925. Big Bear Lake has grown into a four season area with a shopping and dining district, public transportation, vacation lodging rentals, and cabin rentals.
Winter sports have existed throughout the area since the 1940’s, but it was not until December 1952, that Tommi Tyndall, who emigrated from Germany and promoted winter sports in the Big Bear area had the vision to create a ski facility not far from the shores of Big Bear Lake.
Tommi Tyndall opened the Snow Summit Ski Resort with a mile-long double chairlift, several rope tows, and two runs. The ski area became not only popular within the local area, but began to attract the Hollywood crowd who enjoyed winter recreation.
Forced by the hand of Mother Nature, Tommi needed a way to make sure his slopes were covered in white. So by 1964, a snowmaking system was operating with the capability to make snow for the majority of the runs.
As its popularity grew and more people began to visit the Big Bear Lake area in the winter, Snow Summit Ski Resort saw the need to install its second chairlift along with adding more runs.
Snow Summit Ski Resort has become a very popular winter getaway destination in the Southern California region and with the warmth and hospitality of the people, plus the magnificent views from the slopes to the lake below makes this ski resort a true paradise.
On the Slopes
- Snow Summit Ski Resort has trails that are geared towards the intermediate to advanced skier and snowboarder spread and are spread over two mountain peaks. Looking for a challenge check out The Wall which is a double black trail off chair 6. Miracle Mile, Sideshow, and Log Chute are intermediate trails that also have great views of Big Bear Lake.
- Snow Summit Ski Resort is committed to families and hosts a beginner area serviced by two chairlifts. The beginner area has a wide open space where families or beginners have a chance to work on their skill development.
- There is night skiing and snowboarding from 3:00 pm to 8:30 pm on Friday, Saturday and holidays throughout the winter season on select trails.
- Snow Summit Ski Resort has two freestyle parks, Westridge and ZZYZX located near chair 9, designed for beginners, intermediates, and advanced skill levels where you can enjoy jumps, rails, boxes, and many more features.
- Snow Summit Ski Resort has a state of the art snowmaking system that covers 100% of the developed terrain using 300 snow guns and 40 electric fan guns.
- Snow Summit Ski Resort Ski and Snowboard School has a team of enthusiastic instructors ready to provide lessons to children as young as 3 years old with programs such as Pioneer, which is a fun based learning program. There are also the Adventurer lessons for ages 8 to 12 years old, and adult group and private lessons and adaptive programs.
Off the Slopes
- On-mountain lodging is available at the Snow Summit Townhouses or you can choose to stay nearby in the Big Bear Lake area with the choice of cabins, hotels, and B&B’s.
- At the base of Snow Summit Ski Resort, you can find retail shops, guest services, the snow school, and areas to relax and enjoy a few moments away from the slopes.
- Snow Summit Ski Resort offers a variety of dining options, ranging from traditional favourites at the Summit Inn to more casual menu options at Bear Bottom Lodge, and the ski-in/ski-out Slopeside Pub. If you are looking for a unique lunch experience, make sure to check out the great view and food from the deck of the View Haus.
- Snow Summit Ski Resort has the Grizzly Ridge Tube Park that is fun for the entire family.
- The City of Big Bear Lake and surrounding area features a good selection of places to have a casual meal or indulge in fine-dining along with shopping in the many shops and specialty stores.
- Snow Summit Ski Resort and Bear Mountain Ski Area provide a “FREE” Inter-Resort Express, a 10-minute shuttle service, which departs each resort every 30 minutes. Your lift ticket is valid at both ski areas.
- There is also Mountain Transit which provides scheduled service throughout the city of Big Bear Lake, Running Springs, and Lake Arrowhead.
- Bear Mountain Ski Area and Snow Summit Ski Resort may not be geographically connected, but they are when it comes to sharing lift tickets. One lift ticket gains you access to both ski areas, and you can ski or snowboard for free on your birthday. ID is required.
Current Status: Closed
1200 ft / 366 m
7000 ft / 2134 m
8200 ft / 2500 m
100 in / 254 cm
Total Trails: 31
Beginner: 3 (10%)
Intermediate: 8 (25%)
Advanced: 12 (40%)
Expert: 8 (25%)
Terrain Parks & Pipes: 2
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: No
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Ontario CA , 61mi / 98km
Nearest Major City:
San Bernardino CA, 43mi / 70km
Big Bear Lake CA, 0.6mi / 1km
Season Dates: Dec 3 to Apr 16
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
8:30am to 4:00pm : Sat-Sun & Holidays, 8:00am to 5:00pm : See website for Night Skiing times : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: Select Nights
Total Lifts: 16
Express Quad Chairs: 2
Triple Chairs: 4
Double Chairs: 5
Surface Lifts: 5
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
LA/Ontario Intl Airport
Distance: 61 mi / 98 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Palm Springs Intl Airport
Distance: 86 mi / 139 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Central Reservations: 909-866-5841
Direct Phone: 909-866-5766
Snow Phone: 1-888-786-6481