Silver Star Mountain Resort in BC & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2500ft/762m, total trails 132, closest airport 40mi/64km, lifts 10, and more. The ski resort is located in the Monashee Mountain Range on what was initially known as Aberdeen Mountain named after Lord Aberdeen who was Governor-General of Canada from 1893 to 1898. […]Read More
Silver Star Mountain Resort in BC & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2500ft/762m, total trails 132, closest airport 40mi/64km, lifts 10, and more.
The ski resort is located in the Monashee Mountain Range on what was initially known as Aberdeen Mountain named after Lord Aberdeen who was Governor-General of Canada from 1893 to 1898. Long before winter recreation came to the area, silver mining claims were staked out in the nearby area from 1896 to 1926, including a claim by cattle baron Cornelius O’Keefe from Vernon, BC who formed the Silver Star Mining Company. Few, if any claims were ever developed into mines.
The residents of Vernon became interested in Winter recreation in the 1930s as the population grew with settlers from Europe who had a great interest in outdoor winter fun. In 1940, the Silver Star Provincial Park was established and reclassified in 1958 to allow for commercial development.
In 1952, Aberdeen Mountain was renamed Silver Star Mountain due to its sparkling appearance and the once nearby silver mining claims. In 1958, the beginning of modern day skiing at Silver Star Mountain began with two rope tows, an A-frame day lodge, and several trails that were cut after the completion of the final section of the road to the current Silver Star Mountain Resort village.
As interest from the local community grew so did the need to expand, and in 1959 a Poma lift was installed to take skiers to the summit. Expansion continued through the 1960s when the first chairlift was installed.
Another milestone for the resort was when it was renamed to Silver Star Mountain Resort in 1981, when the ski facility was purchased by five investors, including Charlie Locke, who is well known throughout the ski industry. The new investors first display of change was in 1983 when the once day ski area opened the first accommodations at Silver Star Mountain Resort and began its transformation into a true mountain resort.
Over the years there have been several ownership groups who have invested in the resort with terrain expansions and new lifts. The pedestrian village at Silver Star Mountain Resort is a colorful village with distinct in green, yellow, red, and purple buildings and features a main street or common area themed after the 1900s mining towns found throughout the west.
Today, the mountain resort has grown into a true winter recreation area that has skiing and snowboarding in four distinct areas, Vance Creek, Attridge, Silver Woods, and Putnam Creek, home to some amazing advanced terrain. There are nine on mountain hotels and lodges and for their 60th year of operation, a new Gondola was unveiled.
The area around the resort features a residential community with mountain homes and townhouses spread throughout the area with the ski area as the common point. With all this growth over the years, Silver Star Mountain Resort still takes pride in providing a true winter experience for the entire family.
Silver Star Mountain Resort has earned several awards over the years, ranging from the “Best Small Resort in North America” to “One of the Best Family-Friendly Resorts in Canada,” and has a reputation that is known far beyond the reaches of Canada.
On the Slopes
- Silver Star Mountain Resort features a mid-mountain village and terrain that will satisfy all ability levels. Vance Creek offers fun on perfectly groomed intermediates such as Milky Way, Big Dipper, and Sundance to name a few.
- Putnam Creek area is home to over 40 of the most advanced to expert runs on the mountain. Try a few runs on Three Wise Men, Spirit Bowl, Gong Show, and Gonabunga.
- From Mid-December to the end of March there is night skiing and snowboarding available on Friday and Saturday evenings on limited terrain with access from the Gondola and Silver Queen chairlift.
- If you are a terrain park enthusiast make sure to take in the 16 acre SilverStar Terrain Park that is a progression park and has four lanes of fun ranging from the Small Lane all the way the X-Large Lane for the most advanced riders. There are rails, boxes, tubes, and step-up jumps. Access is via the Comet Express lift. There is also a Snowcross course.
- The Snowsports School has a highly skilled team of instructors who can help you focus on your skill development. Programs include, Just for Kids, Just for Adults, Free Style Programs, and the Snowsports Academy that offers women-only programs.
- Silver Star Mountain Resort features on mountain lodging located in the village with a short walk to the lifts and more than 100 vacation homes and condos throughout the area. There are plenty of food and beverage choices, ranging from restaurants and cafes like Bugaboo’s Bakery Café, Red Antler, and Silver Grill.
Off the Slopes
- There is a grocery market, Lord Aberdeen located in the village along with several retail outlets, including Ski Dazzle, Village Ski Shop, and Gallery Odin. Also, for those who would enjoy some pampering, there are even health and wellness options.
- Nearby lodging can be found in the City of Vernon if staying on the mountain is not an option. Vernon features many great areas for food or shopping along the city centre streets or at the Village Green Mall.
- Silver Star Mountain Resort has plenty of off-mountain activities for families and individuals. Tube Town with a dedicated magic carpet lift is a great place to start some family fun. Other activities include outdoor skating and hockey, indoor climbing, and sleigh rides.
- Silver Star Mountain Resort along with the nearby Sovereign Lake Nordic Centre features the most extensive trail network in all of Canada, over 100km and 4 km lit for night Nordic skiing, 7 nights per week. There is the Brewer Pond Base Lodge for tickets, rentals, and lounge area.
- There are 10mi/16km of trails in the snowshoe area that have varying levels of trail difficulty and rentals are available in the Brewer Pond Base Lodge.
- Silver Star Mountain Resort operates a shopping shuttle to Village Green Shopping Centre in Vernon on select days. Call 250-558-6019 for more info.
- Star Kids Daycare is available to parents for children ranging from 18 months to 5 years. The dedicated professions offer indoor and outdoor fun which includes a ski program. Call 250-558-6065 for more info.
- Silver Star Mountain Resort makes it easy to get around using the in-resort shuttle that operates throughout the Knoll, Firelight, and village areas. General operating hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- Fun at Silver Star Mountain Resort is only a bus ride away. The Kelowna Ski Bus operates on weekends and holidays throughout the winter season and there is also the Vernon & North Okanagan Ski Bus. Click the links below for more info.
- Silver Star Mountain Resort also operates daily airport shuttles to the Kelowna International Airport for a fee. Booking must be made a minimum of 5 days in advance. Click on the link below for more info.
Current Status: Open
2500 ft / 762 m
5279 (Bottom 3783) ft / 1609 (Bottom 1153) m
6283 ft / 1915 m
276 in / 700 cm
Total Trails: 132
Beginner: 20 (15%)
Intermediate: 53 (40%)
Advanced: 46 (35%)
Expert: 13 (10%)
Terrain Parks & Pipes: 2
Snow Cross: Yes
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Kelowna BC, 40mi / 64km
Nearest Major City:
Vernon BC, 16mi / 25km
Vernon BC, 16mi / 25km
Season Dates: Nov 28 to Apr 4
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
8:30am to 3:30pm : Night Skiing Fri-Sat, Dec 16 to Mar 31, 3:30pm to 8:30pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: Select Nights
Total Lifts: 10
Express-6 Chairs: 1
Express Quad Chairs: 2
Quad Chairs: 2
Surface Lifts: 4
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Kelowna Intl Airport
Distance: 40 mi / 64 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Central Reservations: 1-800-663-4431
Direct Phone: 250-542-0224
Snow Phone: 250-542-1745