Sierra At Tahoe Ski Resort in California and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2212ft/674m, total trails 46, closest airport 87mi/140km and more. Sierra At Tahoe Ski Resort is located on Huckleberry Mountain in Twin Bridges California, which is in the Eldorado National Forest of South Lake Tahoe. Sierra at Tahoe Ski Resort is located […]Read More
Sierra At Tahoe Ski Resort in California and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2212ft/674m, total trails 46, closest airport 87mi/140km and more.
Sierra At Tahoe Ski Resort is located on Huckleberry Mountain in Twin Bridges California, which is in the Eldorado National Forest of South Lake Tahoe. Sierra at Tahoe Ski Resort is located alongside US Highway 50 to the south of South Lake Tahoe.
The original Sierra At Tahoe Ski Resort opened under the name Sierra Ski Ranch in 1946 by brothers Ray and Floyd Barrett on Echo Summit, about a 1mi/0.6km from the present location, with a Poma Lift, Rope Tow, and a Day Lodge. In 1953, Vern Sprock a Lake Tahoe resident purchased the ski area and saw his dream become a reality to own and operate a ski facility.
Most ski resorts are continually improving and adding new lifts and terrain, but in the case of Sierra Ski Ranch, they performed the most significant change by moving the ski area to a new location. This occurred in 1968 and was a result of Government of California making improvements to US Highway 50.
Very few, if any ski area can claim bragging rights to two opening dates, but on December 21, 1968, Sierra Ski Ranch open for the 2nd time in its new location where it still resides today.
The Sprock family operated the ski area for 47 years and then in 1993 sold their interest to Fibreboard Corporation, which has implemented many improvements beginning with a name change to Sierra at Tahoe.
The start of 1996 was witness to more improvements for Sierra At Tahoe Ski Resort including the sale of the mountain to Booth Creek Ski Holdings Inc. and the installation of several high-speed quad chairlifts.
Sierra At Tahoe Ski Resort is known as a family-friendly ski and snowboard resort that is very popular not only in the local area but throughout the country.
On the Slopes
- Sierra At Tahoe Ski Resort can be categorized into five distinct areas for your skiing and snowboarding enjoyment. The areas are the Backside, Blizzard Mountain, The Gates, Grandview, and finally West Bowl. When you combine all of these areas, you get a big mountain feel that presents a different challenge for every level of skier or snowboarder.
- For those in search of the ultimate advanced/expert terrain, Sierra at Tahoe presents 320 acres of Huckleberry Canyon with access to steeps, cliff drops, rock chutes, and more through five access gates. Please use “caution.”
- For beginner skiers and riders, Sierra Resort is home to the world’s only Burton Star Wars Experience, with over 100 acres of dedicated terrain, four beginner-only conveyor lifts where you can enjoy the day at a comfortable pace.
- Sierra At Tahoe is home to five Terrain Parks that offer a challenge to every level of enthusiast. Also, throw in the Half-pipe and the Snowcross course and at the end of the day, you’ll have experienced some great terrain.
- Sierra At Tahoe has a full range of lessons and programs for both adult and children. No matter what your skill level, the instructors are here to guide you to improvement. The lesson categories include group, private, and the Sierra Mountain Masters.
- There are eight choice locations for food and beverage throughout the day, and six places to relax and reflect at the end of the day. Also, there is the Sierra Mountain Sports Shop where you’ll find the latest gear.
Off the Slopes
- Sierra At Tahoe is a day-use ski and snowboard area with no lodging. In nearby South Lake Tahoe, you will discover a vast selection of lodging, shopping, and dining options. You will also find world-class entertainment, a great selection of music and Vegas-style shows.
- If you want to keep the juices flowing after a great day on the slopes, visit one of the many 24-hour casinos filled with thousands of slot machines and hundreds of tables, all of which are located across the state line in the Nevada section of South Lake Tahoe.
- Wild Mountain Day Care is a licensed facility located at the base of the mountain and is available to children 18 months to 5 years with a full range of activities will keep your child engaged and smiling during their stay. Call 530-543-3150 for more information.
- Blizzard Mountain Snowplay Area is where the entire family can share a laugh and enjoy the many activities offered, including two snow tubing lanes with a lift to get you back to the top. Do not forget to visit the several Adventures Zones located on the mountain.
- Why not try snowshoeing if you are looking for an alternative to a day on the slopes. There are 3mi/5km of snowshoe trails located at Blizzard Mountain. Rentals are available. Just bring your own winter footwear.
- Looking for transportation to the mountain, take a moment to use the Helpful Links at the bottom of the page to find all the options available.
Current Status: Open
2212 ft / 674 m
6640 ft / 2024 m
8852 ft / 2698 m
480 in / 1219 cm
Total Trails: 46
Beginner: 12 (25%)
Intermediate: 22 (50%)
Advanced: 12 (25%)
Expert: 0 (0%)
Terrain Parks & Pipes: 7
Snow Cross: Yes
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: Yes
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Parking: Free and Paid
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Reno NV , 87mi / 140km
Nearest Major City:
Reno NV, 78mi / 126km
South Lake Tahoe CA, 17mi / 28km
Season Dates: Dec 3 to Apr 16
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 4:00pm : Sat-Sun & Holidays, 8:30am to 4:00pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: No
Total Lifts: 14
Express Quad Chairs: 3
Triple Chairs: 1
Double Chairs: 5
Surface Lifts: 5
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Reno-Tahoe Intl Airport
Distance: 87 mi / 140 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Sacramento Intl Airport
Distance: 102 mi / 165 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Central Reservations: N/A
Direct Phone: 530-659-7453
Snow Phone: 530-659-7475