Red Mountain Resort in BC & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2919ft/890m, total trails 119, closest airport 34mi/54km, lifts 8, lodging and more. Red Mountain Resort is located near the City of Rossland in the Monashee Mountains of British Columbia. The discovery of gold and copper by two prospectors on the south side of […]Read More
Red Mountain Resort in BC & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2919ft/890m, total trails 119, closest airport 34mi/54km, lifts 8, lodging and more.
Red Mountain Resort is located near the City of Rossland in the Monashee Mountains of British Columbia. The discovery of gold and copper by two prospectors on the south side of Red Mountain in 1890 was the beginning of the gold rush era, which attracted people from all over the world in search of richness. As a result, the population exploded, and Rossland was born. For the next forty years, many mines operated in the area, and at the high point, there were over 40 saloons, several banks, and many law firms in Rossland until the bust that reduced the population to 3000 and forced residents to look for other opportunities in other towns.
During the boom years, many Scandinavians moved to Rossland, and they brought their love of skiing with them, which was the beginning of skiing in the local area. In the 1920s, two local ski clubs joined forces to create the Red Mountain Ski Club. Over the years, they built a day lodge, installed a chairlift and cut several trails to the top of Red Mountain and on December 26, 1947, Red Mountain Ski Area was opened to the public as a winter recreation area.
There were two notable events in the history of Red Mountain, one was the formation of the ski school in the 1960s to help attract people to the sport, and the other was to offer specialized instruction to promising talent who would compete in racing events. Thus, the Red Mountain Racers were formed.
Rossland and Red Mountain Resort have produced two ski racing champions, Nancy Greene and Kerrin Lee-Gartner who were both Olympic champions and dominant ski racers for Canada, competing in several disciplines.
Since the early days, Red Mountain Resort has grown by leaps and bounds, has gone through several ownership groups, and in 2004 the base area development began with the construction of a village to position Red Mountain Resort as a destination ski and snowboard area.
Red Mountain Resort is part of the famous Powder Highway of British Columbia which is a collection of 8 Ski Resorts, 9 Nordic Centres, 9 Heli-Skiing operations and 10 Snowcat skiing and snowboarding operations.
Today, Red Mountain Resort has gained a reputation that reaches far beyond the local area and even Canada as a destination that continues to provide a family-friendly getaway.
On the Slopes
- Red Mountain Resort features terrain that is suited for all skill levels. There is skiing and snowboarding on three distinct mountain areas, Red, Granite, front side and lift access on its Paradise side, along with Grey Mountain.
- One look at the trail map before venturing onto the slopes and you’ll see the large selection of advanced to expert trails. Off the Red Chairlift, you will discover the Double Black terrain of Hole in the Wall and The Cliff.
- The upper portion of the Granite Mountain area of the ski resort features the most advanced and expert terrain such as Sara’s Chute and Buffalo Ridge. Off the Paradise Chairlift is where you can find some awesome intermediate trails like Southern Comfort and Gambler.
- In 2013 Red Mountain Resort added almost 1000 acres new terrain with the addition of the Grey Mountain area. With this came a vast selection of beginner, intermediate, and advanced trails.
- Mt Kirkup Cat Skiing is a unique way to visit Red Mountain Resort and services new trails on Mt Kirkup (for a fee) that is not serviced by a chairlift. Note: this service is recommended for skiers and snowboarders with advanced skills.
- Red Mountain Resort features the Rockstar Energy Terrain Park located near the T-bar that has several lanes, including a small lane for beginners and a big lane for the more advanced. There are also jump lines, rainbow rails, boxes, handrails, flat downs, plus more features.
- Fall Line Ski and Snowboard School and their dedicated team of instructors are available to help you improve your current skills or offer you a complete introduction to the slopes. Instruction is provided to kids, through Kinder and Junior Camps, plus there are lessons for Teens, Adults, plus Backcountry, Adaptive and Ladies Ride Red programs.
Off the Slopes
- Red Mountain Resort is home to the charming Village at Red Mountain where you can find ski-in/ski-out lodging options, including the Josie Hotel, Red Rob’s and Copper Chalets.
- If you are looking for some après ski, Red Mountain boasts some of the best après action in the area, from movie nights to the famed Rafters Bar, which was once named “North America’s Best Ski Area Bar” by Powder Magazine. Retail and rentals can be found in the base area day lodge.
- The nearby City of Rossland is a four-season tourist area. The historic Columbia Ave is the main street where you will find boutique shopping in places such as the Rossland Art Gallery, Feature your Nest, Butch Boutry Ski Shop, and much more. Plus, there is the Rossland Winter Carnival which has been held near the end of January since 1898.
- There are also many lodging options in the City of Rossland along with lots of dining options in places like Gabriella’s Goldtown Dining, Red Room Lounge along with more casual places.
- There are numerous options for a day away from the slopes, visit the Rossland Museum, curling, and public ice skating in Rossland, snowshoeing, call 778-457-5001 for more info and Black Jack Ski Club Nordic facility, only 2km away from the ski area. It features 24mi/40km of groomed trails, 3 warming huts and 2.5km of lit trails and a 2km doggy loop.
- Red Mountain Resort also offers Back Country touring as well, but please keep in mind that this is for extremely experienced skiers and boarders only. Also, Big Red Cats, one of the largest cat skiing operations is headquartered here.
- Red Daycare is a government licensed facility that is open daily from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. The dedicated team offers a fun and engaging environment for children 18 months to 5 years of age. There are fun toys, games and other activities. Call 778-457-5006 for more info.
- Transportation is available from the City of Rossland to Red Mountain Resort. The Rossland Ski Bus has several pick-up points in Rossland, with service to the mountain for a single ride fee or purchase of a season pass. There is also a Rideshare service available to the ski area. Click the links below for more details.
- Airport Transportation is available to Red Mountain Resort from a number of airports, including Trail, Castlegar, Kelowna and Cranbrook. Click on the Airport Transportation link below for more info.
Current Status: Open
2919 ft / 890 m
3888 ft / 1185 m
6807 ft / 2075 m
300 in / 762 cm
Total Trails: 119
Beginner: 20 (17%)
Intermediate: 41 (34%)
Advanced: 27 (23%)
Expert: 31 (26%)
Terrain Parks & Pipes: 1
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Trail BC , 16mi / 25km
Nearest Major City:
Trail BC, 9mi / 15km
Rossland BC, 3mi / 5km
Season Dates: Dec 18 to Mar 28
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 3:00pm until Feb 15 : 9:00am to 3:30pm after Feb 16 : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: No
Total Lifts: 8
Quad Chairs: 2
Triple Chairs: 3
Double Chairs: 1
Surface Lifts: 2
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Trail Regional Airport
Distance: 16 mi / 25 km
Ranking: No Major Airline Use
West Kootenay Regional Airport
Distance: 34 mi / 54 km
Ranking: Possible Weather Closures
Canadian Rockies Intl Airport
Distance: 160 mi / 257 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Central Reservations: 1-877-969-7669
Direct Phone: 250-362-7384
Snow Phone: 250-362-5500