Mt Rose Ski Tahoe in Nevada and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 1800ft/549m, total trails 60, closest airport 35mi/56km, lifts 8, and more. Mt Rose Ski Tahoe is located alongside Nevada State Road 431(SR431), commonly known as Mount Rose Highway, a scenic 24mi/39km highway in the Carson Range that connects Incline Village, NV to […]Read More
Mt Rose Ski Tahoe in Nevada and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 1800ft/549m, total trails 60, closest airport 35mi/56km, lifts 8, and more.
Mt Rose Ski Tahoe is located alongside Nevada State Road 431(SR431), commonly known as Mount Rose Highway, a scenic 24mi/39km highway in the Carson Range that connects Incline Village, NV to Reno, NV.
While you may think the ski area would be located on Mount Rose, which is an extinct volcano located on the other side of the Mount Rose Highway, it is actually located on Slide Mountain.
Skiing in this beautiful area dates back to the late 1930s when Wayne Paulson established the Mt Rose Upski and Ski School. Enthusiasts would hike up to the summit of Slide Mountain and descend to the base on wooden skis.
Fast forward to 1953, when the Reno Ski Bowl opened to the public on the east side of Slide Mountain with several trails and a lift. A few years later, the area added new lifts and changed its name to Slide Mountain Ski Area.
Around the same Jim Leusher rallied potential investors to create another ski area on Slide Mountain. It was located on the north side of the mountain and known as Mt Rose Ski Area. The ski area opened in 1964 with several trails, lifts, and a hotel that operated until 1984.
The year was 1987, and after several decades of competing against each other, Slide Mountain Ski Area, which had filed for bankruptcy, and Mt Rose Ski Area would merge into a single entity known as Mt Rose Ski Tahoe under the direction of Fritz Buser.
Since the merger, Mt Rose Ski Tahoe has been known as the ski area with the highest base elevation of any ski area in the Tahoe Area, 8260ft/2518m. The ski area has four distinct skiing and snowboarding areas, the north slopes, east slopes, dedicated beginner area, and the Chutes, which opened in 2004. Also, there are two day lodges, the Main Lodge and Winter Creek Lodge, that opened in 2009.
Access to the summit of Mt Rose Ski Tahoe is via two High-Speed six-passenger chairlifts that will quickly take you to the top of the mountain to start your day on the slopes. Many of the runs in this area are advanced trails, so consider your ability level before venturing to the summit.
Mt Rose Ski Tahoe is a midsized ski and snowboard area and a local gem that has gained popularity far beyond the local region that welcomes all skill levels to the slopes. On a clear day, be sure to take in the magnificent views of the valley and the city of Reno.
On the Slopes
- Mt Rose Ski Tahoe features a distinct area known as The Chutes, which hosts 200 plus acres of North facing slopes on some of the steepest terrain found anywhere. The Chutes provide some of the longest continuous vertical drops in North America. Access to this area is through nine separate gates.
- For the intermediate terrain seeker, you’ll find a great selection of terrain off the Blazing Zephyr 6 Chairlift, where you’ll gain access to High Traverse, Bruce’s, and Silver Dollar. Off the Lakeview Chairlift, there are more intermediate runs that include Ramsey’s, Upper, and Lower Lakeview.
- Mt Rose Ski Tahoe is an excellent place for families to enjoy their time on the slopes with lots of terrain suited for the novice or first-time visitor. You can access this area from the Wizard and Galena lift.
- Mt Rose Ski Tahoe has five terrain parks, two of the smaller parks are Double Down and Badlands. Pondo is the largest of the terrain parks and is filled with boxes, cannon rails, tabletops, and a great selection of jumps.
- The Mt Rose Ski Tahoe Snow School has a dedicated team of professional instructors who are eager to get you on the slopes for the first time or to help you improve your technique. There are lessons and programs for children, starting at age 4. There are also adult lessons, along with clinics designed for women.
Off the Slopes
- Mt Rose Ski Tahoe has no mountain lodging, but only a 25-minute drive along the mountain highway you’ll find Reno Nevada, known for its choice of accommodation, nightlife, gambling, entertainment, and restaurant.
- Another option for lodging, dining and entertainment is the town of Incline Village, which is about 10 minutes west towards Lake Tahoe. Incline Village provides a quieter alternative with many condos, numerous restaurants and the Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort with a casino, spa, and restaurant.
- Mt Rose Ski Tahoe features two mountain day lodges, the Main Lodge and the Winters Creek Lodge, where you can grab a bite and take a break from the slopes. Both lodges have the added convenience of Wi-Fi coverage.
- The 431 Sports Retail Shop located in the main lodge is equipped with all the essentials to make your day on the slopes more enjoyable. There is also a complete rental facility offering ski and snowboarding equipment, plus a repair shop.
- Tahoe Meadows Snow Play Area is a public recreation area located only 3mi/5km away from the ski area. Here you can enjoy sledding as a family outing, go snowshoeing, or cross-country skiing and is free for all to use.
Current Status: Closed
1800 ft / 549 m
8260 (Bottom 7900) ft / 2518 (Bottom 2408) m
9700 ft / 2957 m
350 in / 889 cm
Total Trails: 60
Beginner: 12 (20%)
Intermediate: 18 (30%)
Advanced: 24 (40%)
Expert: 6 (10%)
Terrain Parks & Pipes: 5
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: No
Day Lodges: Yes
Reno NV , 35mi / 56km
Nearest Major City:
Reno NV, 26mi / 42km
Incline Village NV, 12mi / 20km
Season Dates: Oct 25 to Apr 26
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 4:00pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: No
Total Lifts: 8
Express-6 Chairs: 2
Quad Chairs: 2
Triple Chairs: 2
Surface Lifts: 2
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Reno-Tahoe Intl Airport
Distance: 35 mi / 56 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Sacramento Intl Airport
Distance: 136 mi / 219 km
Ranking: Least Convenient
Central Reservations: 1-888-754-7673
Direct Phone: 775-849-0704
Snow Phone: 775-849-0704