Mt Hood Meadows Ski Area, Oregon
Categories: Find Ski Resorts in Canada and United States, Find Ski Resorts in United States
Mt Hood Meadows Ski Area in Oregon & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2777ft/846m, total trails 85, closest airport 64mi/103km, lifts 12, & more. The ski area is located near the community of Government Camp, Oregon on the East Face of Mt Hood which is a dormant volcano and Oregon’s highest mountain. Mt Hood […]Read More
Mt Hood Meadows Ski Area in Oregon & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2777ft/846m, total trails 85, closest airport 64mi/103km, lifts 12, & more.
The ski area is located near the community of Government Camp, Oregon on the East Face of Mt Hood which is a dormant volcano and Oregon’s highest mountain.
Mt Hood Meadows Ski Area opened in December 1967, with 2 Chairlifts, 1 T-Bar, and 1 Rope Tow. The opening came several years after the original idea to place a ski hill in the area was planned, and studies for creating winter recreation on Mt Hood were completed.
The ski area has grown from its humble beginnings into a ski and snowboard area with several access lifts at two parking lot locations, 12 named glaciers and the hike-to-terrain of Super Bowl, along with a diverse terrain layout for all to enjoy, all serviced by a well-positioned chairlift system.
It is the largest ski area within the Mt Hood area. It features night skiing and snowboarding on select nights on 140 acres of terrain for those who cannot make it to the slopes during the day.
With no mountainside lodging, the community of Government Camp, Oregon is only a short distance away from Mt Hood Meadows Ski Area. It is a quaint and charming area with a small downtown core where you will find several lodging options, including The Lodge at Government Camp and the historic Huckleberry Inn that offers lodging and a restaurant. The main street features shopping and various food and beverage options.
On the Slopes
- Mt Hood Meadows Ski Area has a selection of terrain to satisfy all levels of ability. The mountain has an awesome layout of beginner and intermediate trails, which run in tandem with the lift system so you can enjoy a full day on the slopes.
- Searching for advanced terrain, you come to the right place; this ski area is a paradise for those that want a challenge. Starting from the 11 gates that access Heather Canyon and the runs of Marmot Ridge and Powder Keg, as well as 1 Bowl to 5 Bowl, there is an incredible amount of terrain to choose from.
- Mt Hood Meadows Ski Area is definitely the place to stop if you are in search of terrain parks. There are several to meet or exceed your expectations. If you are a novice to the terrain park scene, there is a park just for you. If you are a seasoned veteran, there are many features and jumps to test your ability.
- Mt Hood Meadows Ski and Snowboard School has various lessons and programs available to meet the needs of children to adults. They also have lessons designed for those who are venturing onto the slopes for the first time. Their goal is to make sure that each person enjoys their experience no matter what lesson or program they choose.
- When it comes to retail shops, as well as, food and beverage, Mt Hood Meadows Ski Area has you covered. Outer Limits Sports is your complete source for all of your winter requirements. Planning a quick snack or a leisurely sit-down, then there are several wonderful restaurant options to choose from.
Off the Slopes
- Mt Hood Meadows Ski Area does not have lodging available at the mountain. However, you can bring your own accommodations to the mountain and make use of one of the 14 overnight RV Parking spots available. Note, spots are first to come basis, and your RV must have self-contained services. A Sno-park permit is required, and the mountain allows a maximum of 3-night stay.
- Hood River is another community where you can find options for lodging and other amenities but keep in mind that it is approximately 35mi/56km away from the ski area.
- Mt Hood Meadows also has a Nordic Center with 9mi/15km of groomed and track set trails that pass through scenic meadows and wooded areas. The Nordic Center is open Thursday through Monday from 9 am to 4 pm and is located at Hood River Meadows parking lot 1. Rentals are available and remember to get your trail pass. Snowshoeing is not permitted in the Nordic Area.
- Mt Hood Meadows Ski Area has the Children’s Learning Center that aims to provide a fun experience with lots of activities. There is also the Day Care Center with certified personnel for infants as young as 6 weeks.
- Mt Hood Meadows Ski Area has several shuttle options available with various pick-up locations and schedules. If you choose to drive yourself, remember a Sno-Park permit is required for parking.
Current Status: Open
2777 ft / 846 m
4523 ft / 1379 m
7300 ft / 2225 m
430 in / 1092 cm
Total Trails: 85
Beginner: 13 (15%)
Intermediate: 43 (50%)
Advanced: 21 (25%)
Expert: 8 (10%)
Terrain Parks: 7
Snow Cross: Yes
Super Pipe: Yes
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Portland OR , 64mi / 103km
Nearest Major City:
Hood River OR, 35mi / 57km
Government Camp OR, 11mi / 18km
Season Dates: Dec 1 to Apr 16
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
Mon-Tue, 9:00am to 4:00pm : Wed to Sun, 9:00am to 9:00pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: Select Nights
Total Lifts: 12
Express Quad Chairs: 6
Quad Chairs: 1
Double Chairs: 4
Surface Lifts: 1
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Portland Intl Airport
Distance: 64 mi / 103 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Central Reservations: 1-800-754-4663
Direct Phone: 503-337-2222
Snow Phone: 503-227-7669