Mountain High Resort in California & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 1600ft/488m, total trails 59, closest airport 43mi/69km, lifts 14, and more. Mountain High Resort is located in the Big Pines region of the Angeles National Forest in Southern California, west of the community of Wrightwood and is known as being the closest winter […]Read More
Mountain High Resort in California & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 1600ft/488m, total trails 59, closest airport 43mi/69km, lifts 14, and more.
Mountain High Resort is located in the Big Pines region of the Angeles National Forest in Southern California, west of the community of Wrightwood and is known as being the closest winter Resort to any major city in Southern California.
The history of winter recreation dates back to 1924 when ski jumping was introduced to the area in Big Pines Park. For well over a decade the area attracted many ski jumping competitions, but by the late 1930s, this sport was in decline.
As the page was turned to the 1940s, the enthusiasm for downhill skiing was increasing throughout the country and so entered the scene, Frank Springer and Tom Triol with the vision of opening a downhill ski facility in the area. Under their direction, Blue Ridge Ski Area opened with several trails and a few rope tows on the original slopes of Big Pines Park in 1941. Blue Ridge Ski Area would continue to add new terrain, and in January 1947 their first chairlift, a single would begin to operate. Blue Ridge Ski Area is today known as the Mountain High West Resort.
In 1948, competition began to move into the area as Josef Benedikter from Austria began clearing trails and installing a small rope tow to the area that would open as Holiday Hill Ski Area in 1949. With financial backing from John Steinmann a double chairlift was added in December 1950. Steinmann would purchase Benedikter’s interest in the ski area and would operate it for the next 30 years. Holiday Hill Ski Area is today known as Mountain High East Resort.
Only a short distance away, about a five-minute drive, is Mountain High North Resort which initially opened as Table Mountain Ski Area in 1938. It consists of beginner and intermediate terrain, and the base area is located at mid-mountain. In 1975, the name was changed to Ski Sunrise. Today, Ski Sunrise is the Mountain High North Resort.
What was once three separate ski areas, joined together in 1981 and are now owned and operated as one brand, Mountain High Resort. These three ski areas are not connected by any lift system, only by road access and consist of three distinct ski and snowboard areas known as East Resort, West Resort, and North Resort. With one lift ticket you get access to all three ski and snowboard areas.
East Resort Stats
- Vertical Drop: 1600ft (488m)
- Base Elevation: 6600ft (2012m)
- Summit Elevation: 8200ft (2500m)
- Total Lifts: 5
West Resort Stats
- Vertical Drop: 1000ft (304m)
- Base Elevation: 7000ft (2134m)
- Summit Elevation: 8000ft (2438m)
- Total Lifts: 8
North Resort Stats
- Vertical Drop: 600ft (183m)
- Base Elevation: 7200ft (2194m)
- Summit Elevation: 7800ft (2377m)
- Total Lifts: 1
On the Slopes
- The West Resort is the largest in the Mountain High Resort family. West Resort has terrain such as Conquest, Wyatt, and Borderline that is suited to intermediate level of skier or snowboarder and offers some beautiful views.
- Mountain High East Resort is where you will discover a collection of intermediate and advanced terrain featuring excellent fall-line skiing and snowboarding.
- The North Resort offers a good selection of intermediate terrain on many trails including Howard’s Run and Cascade. The North Resort only operates Friday, Saturday, and Sunday during peak season.
- Mountain High Resort is a place where families can visit and create a memorable experience. There are two dedicated learning areas with lift access, one located at the East Resort and the other at the West Resort.
- The West Resort at Mountain High features night skiing and snowboarding, seven nights per week on 85% of the trails for those who are unable to get to the slopes during the day.
- The West Resort is home to a terrain park which offers many fun terrain features such as boxes, rails and everything from small, beginner-type jumps on Creekside to competitive-sized features on Chisolm.
- Mountain High Resort prides itself on the many programs available from the ski and snowboard school. Here you’ll find everything from programs for first-timers to specialty programs, such as adaptive for those wanting to increase specific skills.
- The Children’s Sports Center is located at the base of the West Resort is a place where children can interact through varies activities and begin to enjoy their time on the slopes.
Off the Slopes
- Mountain High Resort does not have any mountainside lodging but located nearby in San Bernadino County is Wrightwood, California, a small community where you will find a good selection of lodging options, dining choices, and several retail stores.
- Mountain High East Resort is where you will discover the Yeti Snow Park. Open Saturday, Sunday, and holidays, visitors can enjoy ice skating, a snow climbing wall, and tubing in the 4 lane park. Tubing session tickets are sold in 2-hour time limits. All activities are weather permitting.
- Mountain High Resort has three, day lodges and in the East and West Resorts where you will find a full selection of rentals, repair shops, and retail outlets at each of the base areas.
- Food and beverage can be found in the East Resort in the Snowshoe Saloon and the Angeles Crest Café. The West Resort is home to the popular Bullwheel Bar and Grill.
- Mountain High Resort offers a free shuttle during the winter season with service between the East and West Resorts. The shuttle operates daily from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm during the winter peak season.
Current Status: Closed
1600 ft / 488 m
6600 ft / 2012 m
8200 ft / 2500 m
116 in / 295 cm
Total Trails: 59
Beginner: 15 (25%)
Intermediate: 24 (40%)
Advanced: 18 (32%)
Expert: 2 (3%)
Terrain Parks & Pipes: 1
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Ontario CA , 43mi / 69km
Nearest Major City:
Ontario CA, 45mi / 72km
Wrightwood CA, 4mi / 7km
Season Dates: Nov 21 to Apr 11
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
8:30am to 5:00pm : See website for Night Skiing times : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: Select Nights
Total Lifts: 14
Express Quad Chairs: 2
Quad Chairs: 2
Triple Chairs: 2
Double Chairs: 5
Surface Lifts: 3
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
LA/Ontario Intl Airport
Distance: 43 mi / 69 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Palm Springs Intl Airport
Distance: 90 mi / 145 km
Ranking: Least Convenient
Central Reservations: N/A
Direct Phone: 1-888-754-7878
Snow Phone: 1-888-754-7878