Mount Washington Alpine Resort, British Columbia
Categories: Find Ski Resorts in Canada, Find Ski Resorts in Canada and United States
Mount Washington Alpine Resort in BC & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 1657ft/505m, total trails 81, closest airport 25mi/40km, lifts 9, & more. The ski resort is located on central Vancouver Island, near the city of Courtenay. Mount Washington is named in honour of Rear Admiral John Washington, a Hydrographer and an officer in […]Read More
Mount Washington Alpine Resort in BC & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 1657ft/505m, total trails 81, closest airport 25mi/40km, lifts 9, & more.
The ski resort is located on central Vancouver Island, near the city of Courtenay. Mount Washington is named in honour of Rear Admiral John Washington, a Hydrographer and an officer in the Royal Navy during the early 1800s.
The ski area is surrounded by the Pacific Ocean to the east and borders Strathcona Provincial Park to the West, which is the oldest provincial park in British Columbia. The park was founded in 1911, and named after Donald Alexander Smith, the 1st Baron of Strathcona, who was a philanthropist and co-founder of the Canadian Pacific Railroad.
Mount Washington Alpine Resort was the idea of Campbell River, BC businessmen Henry Norie and Alex Linton, who saw the potential for a four-season resort on Mount Washington. The mountain had a great natural terrain and an adequate area at the bottom to construct base area facilities, which made it the perfect place to create a ski resort to serve the population of Vancouver Island, and beyond.
After completing all the required permits and licenses, Mount Washington Alpine Resort become a reality and in 1979 it opened for business with two double chairlifts and several trails. Mount Washington Alpine Resort has grown from those early days into a complete four-season resort that has trails spread over three mountain peaks.
Mount Washington Alpine Resort continues to pride itself on providing a family-friendly atmosphere, with panoramic alpine-to-ocean views, which makes this resort a jewel of Vancouver Island tourism.
On the Slopes
- The middle peak offers the largest amount of terrain with runs to suit all ability levels. A single chairlift ride on the Eagle Express will whisk you from the base to the summit where you will be greeted to the intermediate terrain of Coaster and Milky Way.
- From the middle peak, you can also enjoy the advanced and expert terrain of Top of the World Chutes, West Basin Powder Face, Gold Rush Glades, and the Outback.
- Mount Washington Alpine Resort has the Boomerang Lift which received its name because it looks like a Boomerang. It services the advanced terrain, known as The Outback, where you have the option to ski or snowboard the front side trails or back side near McKay Lake.
- There is night skiing from Thursday to Sunday from 3 pm until 9 pm on several trails for those who cannot make it to the slopes during the day.
- Mount Washington Alpine Resort is home to the Easy Acres Terrain Park, which can be found in the beginner’s area of the mountain. This park features smaller rails, boxes, and jumps and is the perfect training ground to help build the skills required to advance to the Rock Star Terrain Park.
- Mount Washington Snow School has a vast selection of programs and lessons that will certainly aid in your skill development. There are kid’s programs for youngsters as old as two years old for skiing and age three for snowboarding. There are group and private lessons for teens and adults, as well as, specialty programs including first-timers and Women’s Week.
Off the Slopes
- Mount Washington Alpine Resort offers the complete mountain-side experience where families can relax after a busy day in the outdoors. There are accommodations for more than 4000 people in the various properties throughout the village.
- There are six restaurants that range from more formal options to simple takeaway fare, including Ted’s Bar and Grill, and the Alpine Lodge Cafe. If you are in the mood for a little shopping, visit Mtn Tech or Altitude Sport and Gift, where you can find all the essentials you need for the slopes, plus many other items, including souvenirs, and postcards.
- Mount Washington Alpine Resort features other activities including the Nordic Centre which has 30mi/55km of groomed cross-country trails meandering through the forest and open meadows. There is also 14mi/22km of snowshoe trails available along with the always popular Tobogganing area open Saturday and Sunday from 10 am to 4 pm.
- The city of Courtenay, which is a short drive from the mountain, is a great alternative to staying slope-side. Courtenay provides a full range of hotels and motels, along with shopping and dining options from casual fare to fine dining.
- Mount Washington Alpine Resort is equipped with the Bear’s Den Daycare facility located in the Bradley Centre. The daycare provides a mountain of indoor fun with games, arts and crafts, plus lunch for ages 18 months to 5 years.
- As a note for those with an RV, Mount Washington Alpine Resort offers a maximum of 3 nights in the Sunrise Parking Lot for “free”. RV’s must be self-contained as there are no services provided in this lot.
- Motor Coach transportation is available and departs daily from Victoria to Mount Washington Alpine Resort with various pick-up points along the way. Call Smith Transportation at 1-877-756-2544 or 250-382-2544 for more information and rates.
Current Status: Open
1657 ft / 505 m
3558 ft / 1084 m
5215 ft / 1589 m
453 in / 1150 cm
Total Trails: 81
Beginner: 11 (14%)
Intermediate: 28 (35%)
Advanced: 30 (36%)
Expert: 12 (15%)
Terrain Parks: 2
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: No
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: No
Retail Shops: No
Children’s Ski Programs: No
Women's Ski Programs: No
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: No
Comox BC , 25mi / 40km
Nearest Major City:
Courtenay BC, 20mi / 32km
Courtenay BC, 20mi / 32km
Season Dates: Dec 15 to Apr 9
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 3:30pm: Night Skiing Thu to Sun & Holidays, 3:30pm to 9:00pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: Select Nights
Total Lifts: 9
Express-6 Chairs: 1
Express Quad Chairs: 1
Quad Chairs: 2
Triple Chairs: 1
Surface Lifts: 4
Within 20mi / 33km: No
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Comox Valley Airport
Distance: 25 mi / 40 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Distance: 92 mi / 148 km
Ranking: Least Convenient
Central Reservations: 1-888-231-1499
Direct Phone: 250-338-1386
Snow Phone: 250-338-1515