Loveland Ski Area in Colorado and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2210ft/674m, total trails 93, closest airport 80mi/129km, lifts 11, and more. The ski area is located in the Arapahoe National Forest adjacent to Interstate 70 in Colorado, in fact, the I-70 runs directly underneath the ski area via the Eisenhower and Johnson Tunnels […]Read More
Loveland Ski Area in Colorado and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2210ft/674m, total trails 93, closest airport 80mi/129km, lifts 11, and more.
The ski area is located in the Arapahoe National Forest adjacent to Interstate 70 in Colorado, in fact, the I-70 runs directly underneath the ski area via the Eisenhower and Johnson Tunnels located below Lift 4.
Loveland Ski Area was the creation of J. C. Blickensderfer who opened the facility to the public in 1936, with just a portable rope tow and a few trails at the area of the mountain that is now known as Loveland Basin. Chet Upham became a partner in the Loveland Ski Area in 1956 and then became the sole owner in 1972 and to this day, the Upham family and Chet’s widow, Virginia, continue to operate the ski area.
As the years progressed, Loveland Ski Area continued to attract more and more visitors and to accommodate the growth the first chairlift, a double was installed for the 1956-1957 season, as well as the creation of additional trails.
Loveland Ski Area continues its’ expansion into the 1961 season with the construction and opening of the area of the mountain to be known as Loveland Valley. This area would be a dedicated area for beginners and for the operation of the ski school.
In 1964, Otto Werlin was named General Manager of the Loveland Ski Area and it was through his dedication and vision over his 28 years in that position (along with owner Chet Upham) that the ski area was able to install snowmaking, and to continue to expand and attract a clientele that would establish the ski area as a place to be seen.
On Mar 15, 1968, construction began on the Eisenhower Tunnel that would run through the Continental Divide and under the Loveland Ski Area at lift 4. This would link the I-70 east and westbound into Summit County, Colorado making it easier to get to the mountain.
Loveland Ski Area and its two distinct areas, Loveland Valley and Loveland Basin have grown throughout the decades and today provide a great ski and snowboard experience along with a family-friendly culture that rivals any of its peers. The ski area is one of Colorado’s highest ski areas with a summit of 13,010ft/3966m on located the hike-to-terrain of Golden Bear Peak.
On the Slopes
- Loveland Ski Area is located in horseshoe-shaped terrain with US highway 6 running up the mountain and along its boundaries over the Continental Divide. The Loveland Valley area of the mountain features terrain that is suited for beginners.
- At Loveland Ski Area you will be greeted with everything from bowls, in the high alpine to groomed and gentler trails on the lower portion of the mountain. For terrain that will certainly get your heart pumping, try Avalanche Bowl, Over The Rainbow or Zoom.
- A unique feature for the Loveland Ski Area is the in-bounds snowcat tours along the ridge on The Ridge Cat that are free with a valid lift ticket. Access is gained to Northstar, Field of Dreams and the double black runs of Super Nova and Velvet Hammer.
- Loveland Ski Area has a terrain park known as the Love Park that contains rails, boxes and other features located on runs Royal and Straight Flush near Lift 6 and is suitable for all ages and abilities.
- The Snow School features many programs and clinics for children ages 4 to 14 years of age and for adults 15 and older. There are Telemark and women’s only clinics, Winter Wiggler program for ages 3 and 4, plus group, private, 3-Class Pass lessons, and private family lessons.
Off the Slopes
- Loveland Ski Area does not have any lodging options, however only 12mi/20km to the east is Georgetown, Colorado, and to the west, you will find a great selection of lodging in both the towns of Silverthorne, 12mi/20km and Frisco 17mi/27km further west along I-70. Options range from the Holiday Inn and Quality Inn, as well as locally owned hotels and inns.
- In Summit County you will discover an endless number of places to dine, along with places to spend a day shopping when you are not on the slopes.
- Loveland Ski Area has a retail outlet at the Basin area and Valley area of the mountain. You can shop for new gear, souvenirs and even rent ski clothing for adults and children.
- Food and beverage can be found in the Loveland Valley cafeteria and Fireside Bar along with the Loveland Grill located at the Loveland Basin area.
- Loveland Ski Area features a licensed childcare facility for ages 12 months to 12 years. Your child is in for a day of toys, games, arts and crafts, lunch, snacks and possible outside time in the snow if the weather permits.
- Loveland Ski Area is the combination of the Loveland Basin and Loveland Valley. The two areas are connected by an inter-mountain shuttle, which runs continually throughout the day from 8:00am to 4:15pm.
- Airport transportation can be arranged from many lodging places in Summit County. Use the Helpful Links section below for more info.
Current Status: Closed
2210 ft / 674 m
10800 ft / 3292 m
13010 ft / 3966 m
422 in / 1072 cm
Total Trails: 93
Beginner: 12 (13%)
Intermediate: 38 (41%)
Advanced: 29 (31%)
Expert: 14 (15%)
Terrain Parks & Pipes: 1
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Denver CO , 80mi / 129km
Nearest Major City:
Denver CO, 53mi / 85km
Silverthorne CO, 12mi / 20km
Season Dates: Oct 25 to May 3
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 4:00pm : Holidays, 8:30am to 4:00pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: No
Total Lifts: 11
Express Quad Chairs: 1
Quad Chairs: 3
Triple Chairs: 3
Double Chairs: 2
Surface Lifts: 2
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Denver Intl Airport
Distance: 80 mi / 129 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Central Reservations: 1-800-225-5683
Direct Phone: 303-571-5580
Snow Phone: 1-800-736-3754