Lake Louise Ski Resort, Alberta
Categories: Find Ski Resorts in Canada, Find Ski Resorts in Canada and United States
Lake Louise Ski Resort in Alberta & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 3250ft/990m, total trails 160, closest airport 121mi/194km, lifts 11, & more. The ski resort is located adjacent the Trans Canada Highway, Highway 1 near the village of Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada. It is one of the three major ski resorts located within […]Read More
Lake Louise Ski Resort in Alberta & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 3250ft/990m, total trails 160, closest airport 121mi/194km, lifts 11, & more.
The ski resort is located adjacent the Trans Canada Highway, Highway 1 near the village of Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada. It is one of the three major ski resorts located within the limits of Banff National Park, which is a UNESCO world heritage site.
Skiing within the Lake Louise region dates back to 1931 when ski enthusiasts constructed the Skoki Lodge some 7mi/11km into the back-country. Fast forward to 1952 when a rope tow was installed in what is today the Temple Lodge area of the ski resort, this was replaced two years later with a Poma lift. As interest in skiing continued to grow in the area, another ski operator emerged on the scene and installed a gondola and developed few trails on Whitehorn Mountain. Both ski areas operated independently until 1971 at which time they amalgamated, and Lake Louise Ski Resort was born.
Skip ahead to the 1980’s, and under the direction of Charlie Locke who purchased the Lake Louise Ski Resort in 1981, the resort undertook its most significant expansion and developed into a world-class facility. Since then Lake
Louise Ski Resort has hosted over 50 World Cup Races, has skiing and snowboarding on four mountain faces, and constructed an impressive day lodge built from local logs known as the Lodge at Ten Peaks.
Today, Lake Louise Ski Resort features two lodges at the base, Whiskey Jack and the Lodge at Ten Peaks, plus the Whitehorn mid-mountain lodge and the Temple Lodge located at the back-side.
Lake Louise Ski Resort is known for having one of the longest seasons in the industry, diverse expert terrain and a reputation throughout the world as one of the most scenic mountain resorts in North America.
On the Slopes
- Lake Louise Ski Resort features the FIS World Cup Race Course located on the front side where you can enjoy the same runs that champions have. The Glacier Express will give you access to beginner and intermediate terrain such as Juniper, Cameron’s Way, and Wiwaxy.
- The Back Bowls serviced by the Paradise Chair feature the steeps and deeps of Paradise Bowl, Upper5, Jackpot, and the Gully’s. There is also the Larch Area that has 14 runs, a dedicated express lift that services all terrain types, plus the Expert run known as Elevator Shaft.
- The Lake Louise Showtime Terrain Park is the largest in Western Canada and is well known for providing small, medium and large jump lines, plus rails, boxes, walls, and rainbows. All levels of terrain park enthusiast - beginner, intermediate and advanced can find something at the park to suit their ability level.
- The Lake Louise Ski and Snowboard School with its roots dating back to 1959, has a team of professional instructors who offer various lessons and programs to improve your skills on the slopes including adult, ladies only, and the Junior Bow Valley Kids for ages 3+.
Off the Slopes
- Lake Louise Ski Resort has no mountain-side lodging, but only a short distance away is the Village of Lake Louise there is a good selection of accommodations that include the Lake Louise Inn, and the Post Hotel.
- The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise is situated on the shores of the beautiful alpine lake. Here you will find luxurious accommodations, fine dining, conference facilities, and relaxation at their famous spa.
- Also the town of Banff, an authentic mountain town with incredible scenery is located only about 30 minutes to the east and has even more choices of accommodations, retail shopping, and dining options to choose from.
- In the Village of Lake Louise there is the Samson Mall, which is a small strip mall that has gift shops, a supermarket, and a liquor store.
- The Sunny Tube Park is located near the base of the ski resort and has two long lanes that provide fun for the entire family.
- Off-mountain activities near Lake Louise Ski Resort include 42mi/70km of cross-country skiing trails, snowshoeing or make the journey to the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise and try an afternoon of outdoor ice-skating on the alpine lake.
- Lake Louise Ski Resort Daycare is a licensed facility located in the building next to the Lodge of Ten Peaks. The staff provides a social atmosphere filled with many fun activities and the option of skiing with instructors.
- The Lake Louise Shuttle is a FREE service that operates between the ski resort and the village of Lake Louise every 30 minutes during the winter season. Note: there is no service during mid-day.
- The Banff to Lake Louise Ski Resort shuttle operates daily for FREE during the winter season.
Current Status: Open
3250 ft / 990 m
5400 ft / 1646 m
8650 ft / 2636 m
144 in / 366 cm
Total Trails: 160
Beginner: 40 (25%)
Intermediate: 72 (45%)
Advanced: 32 (20%)
Expert: 16 (10%)
Terrain Parks: 2
Snow Cross: Yes
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Limited
Day Lodges: Yes
Calgary AB , 121mi / 194km
Nearest Major City:
Calgary AB, 115mi / 185km
Banff AB, 37mi / 60km
Season Dates: Nov 4 to May 7
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 4:00pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: No
Total Lifts: 11
Express-6 Chairs: 1
Express Quad Chairs: 2
Quad Chairs: 3
Triple Chairs: 1
Surface Lifts: 3
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Calgary Intl Airport
Distance: 121 mi / 194 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Central Reservations: 1-877-956-8473
Direct Phone: 403-522-3555
Snow Phone: 403-244-6665