Howelsen Hill Ski Area, Colorado
Categories: Find Ski Resorts in Canada and United States, Find Ski Resorts in United States
Howelsen Hill Ski Area in Colorado and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 440ft/134m, total trails 17, closest airport 25mi/40km, lifts 4, and more. Howelsen Hill Ski Area is located across the Yampa River, only minutes from downtown Steamboat Springs, CO. This outdoor recreation location has a downhill ski area and ski jumping complex that […]Read More
Howelsen Hill Ski Area in Colorado and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 440ft/134m, total trails 17, closest airport 25mi/40km, lifts 4, and more.
Howelsen Hill Ski Area is located across the Yampa River, only minutes from downtown Steamboat Springs, CO. This outdoor recreation location has a downhill ski area and ski jumping complex that is owned and operated by the City of Steamboat Springs and has the distinction of being Colorado’s oldest continuously operated ski area.
The facility was originally opened as Elk Park, a ski jumping and cross-country venue in 1915 by Carl Howelsen after he moved into the area from Norway. It would be several years later, 1917 when the facility would be renamed, Howelsen Hill in honor its founder and longtime winter enthusiast, Carl Howelsen.
It would not be until 1931 that the hill expanded to include downhill skiing and added several trails for both the residents of Steamboat Springs and nearby communities to enjoy.
Over the years Howelsen Hill Ski Area has been the training ground for nearly 90 Winter Olympians along with earning a reputation for sending more athletes to international competitions than any other area in North America.
On the Slopes
- Howelsen Hill Ski Area features the black diamond runs of Upper and Lower Face as well as, intermediates Town View and Straight Shot. There is even the Mile Run trail for beginners’ that takes you around the backside of the mountain all the way to the front base area.
- On select nights during the week you can ski or snowboard under the lights as the ski area has night skiing as well as snowmaking covering 50% of the terrain in case mother nature isn’t so generous.
- There is a small terrain park for enthusiasts that want to glide over rails, boxes and other features.
- Howelsen Hill Ski Area does not offer ski and snowboard programs or lessons. However, the ski area is home to the Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club that provides sports and youth development programs for athletes each year. Check out the SSWSC website for more details.
- Note, there are no equipment rentals available at the ski area.
Off the Slopes
- There is a day lodge with food and beverage services located on the 1st floor of the Howelsen Hill Lodge. A great view of the ski area can be found from the day lodge.
- The city of Steamboat Springs has a great selection of lodging options to meet your requirements, along with a good variety of shopping, dining and even a movie theatre for those days away from the slopes.
- There is also Nordic Skiing available on 9 trails that stretch over 21km/13mi along, plus 13km of snowshoe trails, a tubing area with dedicated lift and Fat Tire Biking.
- Steamboat Springs Transit (SST) provides “FREE” transit throughout the City of Steamboat Springs throughout the year.
- Airport Shuttle service to and from the airport is available from Go Alpine (970) 879-2800 or from Storm Mountain Express (970) 879-1963.
Current Status: Closed
440 ft / 134 m
6696 ft / 2041 m
7136 ft / 2175 m
250 in / 635 cm
Total Trails: 17
Beginner: 5 (29%)
Intermediate: 5 (29%)
Advanced: 7 (42%)
Expert: 0 (0%)
Terrain Parks: 1
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School:
Rentals & Repairs: No
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: No
Women's Ski Programs: No
Adaptive Ski Programs: No
Day Lodges: Yes
Hayden CO , 25mi / 40km
Nearest Major City:
Denver CO, 156mi / 251km
Steamboat Springs CO, 0.5mi / 1.0km
Season Dates: Nov 26 to Mar 26
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
Mon to Fri, 11:00am to 8:00pm : Sat & Sun, 10:00am to 4:00pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: Select Nights
Total Lifts: 4
Triple Chairs: 1
Surface Lifts: 3
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Yampa Valley Regional Airport
Distance: 25 mi / 40 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Central Reservations: N/A
Direct Phone: 970-879-8499
Snow Phone: 970-879-2043