Horseshoe Ski Resort in Ontario and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 308ft/94m, total trails 28, closest airport 69mi/111km, lifts 6, and more. The ski resort is located in the horseshoe-shaped valley just off Highway 22 on Birch Grove Drive, north of the City of Barrie. Barrie serves as a bedroom community to the City […]Read More
Horseshoe Ski Resort in Ontario and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 308ft/94m, total trails 28, closest airport 69mi/111km, lifts 6, and more.
The ski resort is located in the horseshoe-shaped valley just off Highway 22 on Birch Grove Drive, north of the City of Barrie. Barrie serves as a bedroom community to the City of Toronto and a gateway to cottage country. The resort is located in the snow belt region of Southern Ontario and is surrounded by land that is known for its agriculture history.
Horseshoe Ski Resort was the vision of Bill Lohuaru, a home builder from Toronto who wanted to open a ski resort. He settled on this beautiful region because of its proximity to a growing population that could travel to the area to enjoy skiing.
The ski area opened in 1962, with five trails, a T-Bar and four Rope Tows, along with a base lodge. As popularity for the ski area grew, they expanded to support the growth with new trails, lifts, and to guard against any lack of cooperation from Mother Nature, snowmaking was added in 1967.
As enthusiasm for winter sports continued to grow, the addition of Nordic Skiing in the Copeland Forest was added in 1964. Although Horseshoe Ski Resort was enjoying winter success, the summer season was quite slow, so in July 1975, a golf course was opened to draw the summer crowds.
The ski resort continued to expand with the addition of lodging, restaurants, children activities, and tennis courts. The resort even added night skiing and snowboarding in 1984 to provide more options to its many loyal guests.
From humble beginnings, Horseshoe Ski Resort has grown into a well-known, four-season resort that provides an experience that reaches beyond the slopes and golfing, to a place where families can enjoy time together.
On the Slopes
- Horseshoe Ski Resort features skiing and snowboarding on three distinct summit areas with 20 trails lit for night skiing. Each of the three distinct areas has a selection of beginner, intermediate, and advanced terrain.
- There is a dedicated beginner area that is equipped with a chairlift and two surface lifts to welcome those who are new to the slopes. The area is wide open to allow everyone to gain the necessary experience before moving to the more challenging terrain.
- The terrain park is situated in a dedicated area, spread over several runs and requires a pass for access. The park features small and medium jumps, rails, boxes and a wall that will provide you with an adrenaline rush as you make your descent from the summit to base.
- Horseshoe Ski Resort has a dedicated team of instructors who are ready to get you on the slopes or help improve your technique. Programs include Camp Horseshoe for ages 3 to 12 and school groups. As well as group, private, beginner, and adaptive lessons.
- Horseshoe Ski Resort has several lodging options at the base of the mountain to add to your experience. The Inn at Horseshoe features several room choices, including Horseshoe Room, Deluxe Room, or Loft Suite. Also, adding to your selection is the Copeland House and the slope-side condos.
Off the Slopes
- The base area day lodge is the place where it all happens. Stop by the retail shop before or after your day on the slopes or enjoy several dining options, such as the Alpine Cafeteria, Shoe Brew coffee shop, lunch and dinner at the Crazy Horse Sports Bar & Grill, and fine dining at the Inn Steakhouse.
- The nearby City of Barrie is located on the west shore of Lake Simcoe and is an area that is rich in culture and popular for the outdoor enthusiasts in summer and winter. Barrie has a multitude of shopping from the downtown core to the Georgian Mall, Bayfield Mall and, Kozlov Shopping Centre.
- Downtown Barrie has a great selection of restaurants that range from casual to fine dining. You’ll also find a great selection of all of your favourite chain restaurants throughout the Barrie area. Lodging can be found near throughout the city with well-known hotels and motels, such as Best Western Plus, Holiday Inn, and Four Points Sheraton.
- Horseshoe Ski Resort has an incredible list of activities away from the slopes. There is Cross-Country Skiing on over 30km/18mi of trails featured in three sections, North, South, and West. There is a chalet where you can find rentals, lessons, and a repair shop.
- Snow Tubing is a popular activity for families and individuals on the longest tubing hill in Ontario. There are 10 chutes, a dedicated surface lift, and the option for tubing under the lights.
- Horseshoe Ski Resort also provides an outdoor ice rink located at the base area, fat biking on 9km/6mi of trails in the Copeland forest, along with snowshoeing on 2km/1.5mi of trails with the option of a moon-light guided tour on Saturday Nights.
- Horseshoe Ski Resort provides a complimentary shuttle for guests and locals in the nearby community during the summer and winter. Call (705) 718-9938 for more info.
Current Status: Closed
308 ft / 94 m
1024 ft / 312 m
1332 ft / 406 m
88 in / 224 cm
Total Trails: 28
Beginner: 8 (29%)
Intermediate: 6 (21%)
Advanced: 12 (43%)
Expert: 2 (7%)
Terrain Parks & Pipes: 1
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: No
Adaptive Ski Programs: Limited
Day Lodges: Yes
Toronto ON, 69mi / 111km
Nearest Major City:
Barrie ON, 16mi / 26km
Oro-Medonte ON, 6mi / 10km
Season Dates: Dec 11 to Mar 21
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 9:00pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: Nightly
Total Lifts: 6
Express-6 Chairs: 1
Quad Chairs: 2
Double Chairs: 1
Surface Lifts: 2
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Toronto Pearson Intl Airport
Distance: 69 mi / 111 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport
Distance: 82 mi / 131 km
Ranking: Limited Major Airline Use
Central Reservations: 1-800-461-5627
Direct Phone: 705-835-2790
Snow Phone: 705-835-2790 (option 5)