Eaglecrest Ski Area, Alaska
Categories: Find Ski Resorts in Canada and United States, Find Ski Resorts in United States
Eaglecrest Ski Area in Juneau, Alaska & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 1620ft/494m, total trails 36, closest airport 20mi/33km, lifts 4, & more. Eaglecrest Ski Area is located on Douglas Island, only a short drive (12 miles/20km) from downtown Juneau, and is the only ski area in the US that is located on an […]Read More
Eaglecrest Ski Area in Juneau, Alaska & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 1620ft/494m, total trails 36, closest airport 20mi/33km, lifts 4, & more.
Eaglecrest Ski Area is located on Douglas Island, only a short drive (12 miles/20km) from downtown Juneau, and is the only ski area in the US that is located on an island. Access to Juneau is by air or water only. However, it is an easy flight from most major cities in the US and Canada.
In the late 1960’s, Bob Janes and Craig Lindh approached the US Forest Service with the idea of opening a ski area on Douglas Island that is now home to Eaglecrest Ski Area. This location was chosen for its diverse terrain and because the access road was in an avalanche free zone. After years of hard work to overcome regulatory hurdles, permission was granted, and Eaglecrest Ski Area opened to the public in December 1976, with a day lodge, one chairlift, and a surface lift.
Eaglecrest Ski Area has grown from its original roots to a ski area that lists two official bowls, the East and West Bowl, however, if you count the unofficial bowls there is a total of four bowls with amazing terrain for all levels of skiers and snowboarders to enjoy.
If your skiing or snowboarding abilities are at a high-intermediate to advanced level, take the short 15-minute hike with your skis or snowboard on your shoulder (there’s no lift service) to Pittman’s Ridge. From here you will gain an additional 156ft/48m of vertical drop, plus enjoy an almost 360-degree view of the valley, and Young Bay.
On the Slopes
- Eaglecrest Ski Area has a very good mix of terrain and offers something for every type of skier or snowboarder and if you are looking for a challenge, over 40% of the mountain features intermediate and expert terrain.
- The Ptarmigan Chair will take you to the Eagle’s Nest, and from here, there is a good selection of black diamond runs to choose from plus Hillary’s or Raven - for the intermediate skier.
- If you are new to skiing or snowboarding, there is a dedicated learning area just outside the lodge with four runs serviced by the Porcupine Chair.
- The Hooter Chairlift area is home to the only Terrain Park at the Eaglecrest Ski Area. The terrain park provides a good mix of rails, boxes, and jumps.
- At the base area, you will find the Eaglecrest Lodge, which has various amenities, including the Eaglecrest Grill and the Porcupine Lodge. You will also find equipment rentals, a full-service repair shop, snow school, and a retail shop.
- Eaglecrest Ski Area has a dedicated team of professional instructors that offer private, Adult and Youth group lessons, programs for children as young as three, specialty workshops, and Adaptive Snow Sports programs.
Off the Slopes
- Eaglecrest Ski Area does not offer any slope-side accommodation; however, there is no shortage of accommodation options in Juneau and its surrounding suburbs. Depending on your needs, you’ll find hotels, motels, Inns, B&B’s, and more.
- Make sure you check out historic Franklin Street, which in the early 1900’s was the centre of the cities’ business district. Today you will find an eclectic local shopping area to find that perfect souvenir of your trip, plus great restaurants, and authentic bars.
- When you plan a ski trip to Eaglecrest and the Juneau area, make sure to take some time away from the slopes to see some of the amazing sites, such as the Mendenhall Glacier, which is 13.6mi/22km long and located in Mendenhall Valley, about 12mi/20km from downtown Juneau.
- Why not visit Eaglecrest Ski Area for more than just skiing and snowboarding. Spend the day Nordic skiing on the approximate 8km/5mi of upper or lower Nordic Trail network. Lessons are available.
- Throughout the winter season, on Saturday, Sunday and Holidays you can catch the Snow Bus to the mountain. The bus operates at various times throughout the day at various pick-up locations around Juneau. Note, cash only unless you purchase a bus pass from the Eaglecrest Ski Area ticket window.
Current Status: Closed
1620 ft / 494 m
1130 ft / 344 m
2750 ft / 838 m
350 in / 889 cm
Total Trails: 36
Beginner: 12 (33%)
Intermediate: 15 (42%)
Advanced: 8 (22%)
Expert: 1 (3%)
Terrain Parks: 1
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Juneau AK, 20mi / 33km
Nearest Major City:
Juneau AK, 12mi / 20km
Juneau AK, 12mi / 20km
Season Dates: Dec 3 to Apr 9
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: W, Th, F, Sa, Su
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 4:00pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: No
Total Lifts: 4
Double Chairs: 4
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Juneau Intl Airport
Distance: 20 mi / 33 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Central Reservations: Not Applicable
Direct Phone: 907-790-2000
Snow Phone: 907-586-5330