Deer Valley Resort in Utah and Escape2ski provide info on vertical drop 3000ft/914m, total trails 103, closest airport 38mi/61km, lifts 21, and more. The ski resort is located in the Wasatch mountain range, east of Salt Lake City, near the historic mining city known as Park City. Once rich in silver and during the early […]Read More
Deer Valley Resort in Utah and Escape2ski provide info on vertical drop 3000ft/914m, total trails 103, closest airport 38mi/61km, lifts 21, and more.
The ski resort is located in the Wasatch mountain range, east of Salt Lake City, near the historic mining city known as Park City. Once rich in silver and during the early 19th century, the area attracted miners who were in search of work and prosperity for their families. Today the area attracts people for a very different reason, those searching for an outstanding mountain experience.
Skiing began at Deer Valley Resort, dating back to the Park City Winter Carnival’s of the 1930s, with the first trails cut during the winter of 1936-1937. However, it would not be until 1947 that two local residents of Park City, Robert Burns and Otto Carpenter, would begin operating a ski area known as Snow Park Ski Area. They would operate the ski area for 18 years on Bald Eagle Mountain until it closed in 1965.
The Deer Valley Resort we know today opened on December 26, 1981, on two mountains, Bald Eagle and Bald Mountain, with five chairlifts, 35 trails, and two day lodges. The ski resort was the vision of Edgar Stern, along with his wife Polly, who founded the Royal Street Corporation in 1948. The Stern Family were involved in the broadcast business and then later real estate development, always with a commitment to excellence, hence the vision to create a world-class ski facility with upscale amenities.
Edgar Stern wanted to provide a first-class experience for all of the guests who visited Deer Valley Resort along with mountain terrain that would suit all skill levels. As the ski resort began to expand its terrain, it also installed its first high-speed quad chairlift was in 1991 on Bald Eagle Mountain. Another milestone for Deer Valley Resort was hosting the freestyle moguls, aerial, and alpine slalom events for the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics.
Today, Deer Valley Resort remains a skier only mountain. It has grown to provide skiing on six mountains, Little Baldy Peak, Bald Eagle Mountain, Bald Mountain, Flagstaff Mountain, Empire Peak, and Lady Morgan, along with delivering an advanced skier experience in six bowls.
Over the years, Deer Valley Resort has received numerous awards and recognition from ski industry-leading media publications and has earned an amazing reputation worldwide.
In August of 2017, the resort was sold to Alterra Mountain Company based in Denver, Colorado. Alterra Mountain Company is an American Hospitality Company and Ski Resort conglomerate.
On the Slopes
- At Deer Valley Resort, there are three day lodges located at easily accessible locations on the mountain. There is the Snow Park Lodge, which is the main day lodge, plus the Silver Lake Lodge and Empire Canyon Lodge.
- Deer Valley Resort is vast in size, with skiing available in six bowls, Lady Morgan, Empire, Daly, Ontario, Perseverance, and Mayflower Bowl, all offering a unique skiing experience.
- Bald Mountain has intermediate and advanced terrain, Flagstaff Mountain offers a fun intermediate experience, and Empire Mountain provides a mixture of intermediate trails and advanced terrain.
- Deer Valley Resort is designated for skiers only, and there are no terrain parks found here, only terrain that will challenge all skill levels.
- The Deer Valley Ski School goes to the next level to provide the best instruction available. Their dedicated team is ready for newcomers or individuals looking to improve their technique. There is group, private lessons, Women’s Clinics, an Adventure Club for ages 7-12, and Teen Escape for ages 13-17.
- Deer Valley Resort offers complimentary Mountain Host tours that depart daily from the top of the Carpenter Express lift, four times per day. It is recommended for an intermediate to advanced skill level. No pre-booking is required.
- Deer Valley Resort provides a vast selection of lodging properties located all over the resort. There is a collection of luxury hotels with the best in service and amenities, such as The St. Regis Deer Valley, Stein Eriksen Lodge, and many more. There are also condos and private homes.
Off the Slopes
- If you are looking for an adventure away from the slopes, Deer Valley has many non-mountain activities, including; Nordic skiing, dog sledding, and snowmobiling with Summit Meadow Adventures.
- At Deer Valley Resort, dining is a part of the experience that will make your vacation complete. The resort features casual, family-friendly, as well as fine-dining restaurants. Some of the options are Fireside Dining, EBS Lounge, Seafood Buffett, and the premier restaurant, The Mariposa.
- Deer Valley Resort has three signature retail locations to complement your shopping experience. A place to get souvenirs, logo merchandise, and apparel needs. Locations are Silver Lake Village, Snow Park Lodge, and Main Street in Park City.
- Only a short distance away, you will discover the historic area known as Park City. Here you’ll find many retail stores, restaurants, the historic Main Street shopping and dining experience, and many lodging options throughout the area.
- The Deer Valley Children’s Center is a state-licensed facility that provides games, arts and crafts, singing, a toy play area, and a reading section when the parents want to spend some time on the slopes. Reservations are recommended.
- Deer Valley Resort provides a complimentary shuttle service from their five “free” parking lots to the Snow Park Lodge. Note, the underground parking at the Snow Lake Lodge is a paid parking lot with limited spaces.
- Park City Transit operates a “free” bus scheduled service from Deer Valley to Park City and other local areas. Click on Local Transit Service in the Helpful Links section below for more info.
- Airport Transportation is available to Deer Valley Resort through Canyon Transportation. See the Helpful Links below and click on Airport Transportation for more details.
Current Status: Open
3000 ft / 914 m
6570 ft / 2003 m
9570 ft / 2917 m
300 in / 762 cm
Total Trails: 103
Beginner: 28 (27%)
Intermediate: 42 (41%)
Advanced: 30 (29%)
Expert: 3 (3%)
Terrain Parks & Pipes: 0
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: No
Ski & Snowboard School: Ski
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Salt Lake City UT , 38mi / 61km
Nearest Major City:
Salt Lake City UT, 32mi / 52km
Park City UT, 2mi / 3km
Season Dates: Nov 29 to Apr 16
Skiing & Snowboarding: Skiing Only
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 4:15pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: No
Total Lifts: 21
Express Quad Chairs: 14
Quad Chairs: 1
Triple Chairs: 4
Double Chairs: 1
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Distance: 38 mi / 61 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Central Reservations: 1-800-558-3337
Direct Phone: 435-645-6625
Snow Phone: 435-649-2000