Crested Butte Mountain Resort, Colorado
Categories: Find Ski Resorts in Canada and United States, Find Ski Resorts in United States
Crested Butte Mountain Resort in CO & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 3062ft/933m, total trails 121, closest airport 31mi/50km, lifts 15, & more. The ski resort is located in Gunnison County, southwest of Denver, Colorado in an area that is rich in history. Crested Butte Mountain Resort should not be confused with the town […]Read More
Crested Butte Mountain Resort in CO & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 3062ft/933m, total trails 121, closest airport 31mi/50km, lifts 15, & more.
The ski resort is located in Gunnison County, southwest of Denver, Colorado in an area that is rich in history. Crested Butte Mountain Resort should not be confused with the town of Mt Crested Butte located at the base of the resort and the town of Crested Butte, which only a 3mi/2km away from the ski resort.
Long before tourists were attracted to this magnificent four-season area, the region caught the attention of workers seeking employment in the coal and silver mines located nearby. Coal eventually became the primary industry and continued until 1952 when the Big Mine finally closed for good. When you visit the town of Crested Butte, you can still see and feel the history of its coal mining roots.
It was not until 1960; that new hope was presented to the area by Dick Eflin and Fred Rice, long-time friends from Kansas, who had purchased a ranch at what is today, the base area of Crested Butte Mountain Resort. Both men shared the same vision of opening and operating a ski facility that would attract skiers from all over the United States.
They opened the ski area in Nov 1961, with a J-Bar on the bunny slope and T-Bar on the more intermediate terrain and in December 1962, they installed a 3 Seat Gondola from Italy. After eight years as co-owner, Dick Eflin sold his interest to his partner Fred Rice who would continue with their vision to create a destination ski resort, complete with a village at its base. Unfortunately, Fred did not see his full vision come to fruition as he passed away while still in his early 40’s.
The ski resort was purchased around 1970 by Ralph Walton, a former employee of Westinghouse Electric and Howard “Bo” Calloway, a former Republican politician from the south. Under Ralph’s and Bo’s guidance for more than 30 years, Crested Butte Mountain Resort transformed itself into four-season mountain resort that has become a place that many call home.
Fast forward to 2004 when Tim and Diane Mueller, owners of ski resorts in Vermont and New Hampshire purchased Crested Butte Mountain Resort. They trademarked the name “The Last Great Colorado Ski Town”, and created their vision for the future at the ski resort.
Crested Butte Mountain Resort has earned a reputation far beyond its local community as a resort with incredible expert terrain. But keep in mind that the ski resort offers a true family experience with over 50% of the terrain dedicated to beginner and intermediate skiers and snowboarders and best of all it is free from excess crowds.
On the Slopes
- Crested Butte Mountain Resort is packed with incredible terrain for every ability level to enjoy. Whether you are at the top of the High Lift starring down at the steep terrain, or at the top of the Gold Link Lift ready to ski more moderate runs, be sure to take a look around as both of these places offer breathtaking views of the surrounding area.
- Crested Butte Mountain Resort and their team of dedicated snow sports professionals are ready to help you improve your skills and your time on the snow. Kids will enjoy Camp CB, and for adults, there are clinics for women and those on the slopes for the first tiime, plus lessons for all ability levels.
- Crested Butte Mountain Resort has four terrain parks where you can catch some big air at the Cascade Park or showcase your skills on the many rails and boxes in the Jib Parks near the Painter Boy Lift or the park located near the Red Lady Express Lift. There is also a Snow Cross course available.
- As Crested Butte Mountain Resort is committed to creating those family memories, there is also a year-round not for profit organization known as the Adaptive Sports Center that is operated in several locations with qualified staff to help everyone who requires some extra assistance. Call 1-866-349-2296 or visit www.adaptivesports.org for more info.
- Crested Butte Mountain Resort village has all of the charm and quaintness that anyone could ask for in a winter getaway. There are at least 12 condominium properties available that would be considered ski in/ski out. Whatever your tastes and amenity needs, central reservations can help find you the perfect location. One such property is the Grand Lodge Crested Butte.
Off the Slopes
- After an enjoyable day on the slopes, take a moment to wander through the village. There is a fine selection of shops ranging from Flatiron Sports to CB Mountain Outfitters and much more. After shopping, stop by one of the vast selection of dining spots to choose from, such as, Butte 66 Roadhouse Bar and Grille, which serves all your favorites and has a lively atmosphere or The Woodstone Grille.
- The Town of Crested Butte has an excellent selection of dining options with over 40 establishments that serve cuisine to fit any craving. If staying at the resort is not an option, there is a good selection of properties in town to choose from, as well as, a variety of shopping options to keep you busy.
- There is an endless selection of off-mountain activities available. There are over 50km/30mi of groomed Cross Country trails at the Crested Butte Nordic Centre, in the town of Crested Butte, along with ice skating, which is free if you bring your skates.
- Snowshoeing is available on well-groomed trails with the option of a guide for a fee. Action Adventures also features guided snowmobile tours, 970-349-5909. There is also the Tubing Hill filled with thrills and laughter, and Snowbiking is permitted on selected runs.
- Crested Butte Mountain Resort has several childcare options. The Nursery operated by the resort, offers arts, crafts, games, quiet time and if conditions are favorable, even some time in the snow for ages 2 months to 3 years and also Camp CB for children ages 3-14 who are in search of some fun and laughter.
- The Trailhead Children’s Museum for ages 1 to 6 has a winter drop-off program for parents. There are various classes and camps for children to explore, create, play and learn. Call 970-349-7160 or visit www.trailheadkids.org for more info.
- Getting around the local area is as simple as standing at the bus stop and waiting for the FREE Mountain Express, which operates every 15 minutes during peak season. For more info, call 970-349-5616.
- Door-to-door airport shuttle service is available from the Gunnison Airport with Alpine Express by calling, 1-800-822-4844 or from Crested Butte Specialty Services at 970-901-6400. Visit the Helpful Links section below to visit their websites.
Current Status: Closed
3062 ft / 933 m
9375 (Bottom 9100) ft / 2858 (Bottom 2774) m
12162 ft / 3707 m
300 in / 762 cm
Total Trails: 121
Beginner: 21 (17%)
Intermediate: 51 (42%)
Advanced: 19 (16%)
Expert: 30 (25%)
Terrain Parks: 5
Snow Cross: Yes
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Parking: Free and Paid
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Gunnison CO, 31mi / 50km
Nearest Major City:
Town of Crested Butte CO, 3mi / 2km
Mt Crested Butte CO, at Base of the Mountain
Season Dates: Nov 23 to Apr 16
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 4:00pm : North Face Lift closes at 3:00pm : East River & High Lift close at 3:30pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: No
Total Lifts: 15
Express Quad Chairs: 4
Quad Chairs: 3
Triple Chairs: 3
Double Chairs: 1
Surface Lifts: 4
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Gunnison-Crested Butte Regional Airport
Distance: 31 mi / 50 km
Ranking: Limited Flights per Day
Montrose Regional Airport
Distance: 96 mi / 155 km
Ranking: Least Convenient
Denver Intl Airport
Distance: 253 mi / 408 km
Ranking: Least Convenient
Central Reservations: 1-877-547-5143
Direct Phone: 970-349-2211
Snow Phone: 970-349-2323