Copper Mountain Resort, Colorado
Categories: Find Ski Resorts in Canada and United States, Find Ski Resorts in United States
Copper Mountain Resort in Colorado & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2729ft/832m, total trails 140, closest airport 59mi/95km, lifts 27, & more. The ski resort is located in Summit County, Colorado adjacent to US Interstate 70. The resort fittingly received its name as copper was found in the mountains of what was then called […]Read More
Copper Mountain Resort in Colorado & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2729ft/832m, total trails 140, closest airport 59mi/95km, lifts 27, & more.
The ski resort is located in Summit County, Colorado adjacent to US Interstate 70. The resort fittingly received its name as copper was found in the mountains of what was then called Copper Peak due to the mining in the area around the 19th Century.
The ski resort was the vision of Chuck Lewis who attended Dartmouth College in New Hampshire where he became interested in the ski resort industry. Chuck started by purchasing 280 acres of what would eventually become the base area of his ski area. He began cutting trails and preparing to open Copper Mountain Resort to the public in November 1972.
In 1997, the resort was purchased by Intrawest who invested heavily in the transformation of the resort from a small local ski area to become one of Colorado’s premier year-round destination resorts.
Copper Mountain Resort is known for its naturally divided terrain, as well as providing an expert mountain experience on the 273 acres of Tucker Mountain with its peak of 12,421ft/3785m. This section of the resort offers six expert trails that include Denverite, Western Slope, Boulderado, Ram’s Run, Buffalo Stampede and Curecanti, all serviced by the Three Bears triple chairlift.
Today, Copper Mountain Resort is under the ownership and guidance of the Powder Adventure Lifestyle Corporation and offers a family-friendly atmosphere, three base area villages, East, Center, and West and a skier and snowboarding experience that rival’s any of its peers.
On the Slopes
- Copper Mountain Resort offers spectacular views and features amazing skiing and snowboarding in any of the resorts four bowls; Copper, Spaulding, Union, and Resolution. The ski area has snowmaking on 364 acres, with Collage being the longest run - 1.7mi/2.73km at the resort.
- The West Side Village area slopes of Copper Mountain Resort provide an excellent learning environment for skiers and snowboarders that are new to the sport. For intermediate skiers, be sure to check out the runs of Andy’s Encore, Oh No, and West, which are easily accessible from Super Bee Chairlift in the East Village.
- Copper Mountain Resort offers seven terrain parks including Half Pipe and Super Pipe, the beginner parks of Green Acres and Lower Roundabout to the advanced Central Park, plus the Hidden Vein private terrain park which is part of the Woodward Camp.
- Copper Mountain Ski and Snowboard School has a dedicated team of professionals who can provide you with all of the necessary skills to give you better confidence on snow. Lessons and programs include private, adult, and youth group along with youth and adult seasonal programs.
- Copper Mountain Resort provides free mountain tours that depart at 10:00 am and 1:00 pm from the Ambassador Hut located at the top of the American Eagle Chairlift. Tours last 2.5 hours you must be at least an intermediate skill level to participate.
- Copper Mountain Resort features three base area villages, the East, Center, and West Village. Each of the village areas offers a great selection of lodging options, shopping, and many different types of dining options. There is also the McCoy’s Mountain Market for all your grocery needs and the Snowbridge Square Liquor store located in the Center Village.
Off the Slopes
- Copper Mountain Resort has a good selection of off-mountain activities including; ice skating on West Lake in the Center Village, Cross-Country skiing on 10mi/16km of trails spread over nine zones, snowshoeing, sleigh rides, snowmobiling, and more.
- Other popular off-mountain fun includes the year-round Rocky Mountain Alpine Coaster that has a vertical drop of 430ft/131m on a course length of 5800ft/1768m. Tubing is available in the East Village.
- There is also the Woodward Camp, which is a year-round indoor ski and snowboard training facility dedicated to terrain park and pipe progression for individuals and future athletes.
- Copper Mountain Resort offers an In-Resort Shuttle Service for transport between the East, Center, and West Villages along with the Copper Coach Dial-A-Ride Service for overnight guests. Call 970-368-2002 for more info.
- There is the Copper Belly Button Babies and Bakery Childcare located in the mountain plaza for parents who want a little time to enjoy the slopes on their own. Critterland, with a tubing carousel, is a great place for parents and kids to enjoy outdoor activities together.
- The towns of Silverthorne and Dillon in Summit County provide an alternative for lodging, shopping, and dining if staying at Copper Mountain Resort is not an option.
- Summit Stage offers free bus service from Copper Mountain Resort to the nearby Towns of Silverthorne and Dillon along with other ski areas in the Summit County area. Pick-up at Copper Mountain Resort is at Passage Point on the hour and the East Village at 2 minutes past the hour.
Current Status: Open
2729 ft / 832 m
9712 ft / 2960 m
12441 ft / 3792 m
305 in / 774 cm
Total Trails: 140
Beginner: 30 (21%)
Intermediate: 35 (25%)
Advanced: 50 (36%)
Expert: 25 (18%)
Terrain Parks: 5
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: Yes
Half Pipe: Yes
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Parking: Free and Paid
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: No
Day Lodges: Yes
Eagle County CO , 59mi / 95km
Nearest Major City:
Denver CO , 82mi / 132km
Frisco CO, 11mi / 18km
Season Dates: Nov 14 to Apr 16
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 4:00pm : Sat-Sun & Holidays, 8:30am to 4:00pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: No
Total Lifts: 27
Express-6 Chairs: 2
Express Quad Chairs: 6
Triple Chairs: 5
Double Chairs: 4
Surface Lifts: 9
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Eagle County Airport
Distance: 59 mi / 95 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Denver Intl Airport
Distance: 102 mi / 165 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Central Reservations: 1-866-841-2481
Direct Phone: 970-968-2318
Snow Phone: 1-888-556-2627