Breckenridge Ski Resort in Colorado and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 3398ft/1036m, trails 187, closest airport 72mi/116km, lifts 34, and more. Breckenridge Ski Resort is located in Summit County next to the town of Breckenridge. General George E. Spencer created the town of Breckenridge in November 1859. Spencer chose the name “Breckinridge” after John […]Read More
Breckenridge Ski Resort in Colorado and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 3398ft/1036m, trails 187, closest airport 72mi/116km, lifts 34, and more.
Breckenridge Ski Resort is located in Summit County next to the town of Breckenridge. General George E. Spencer created the town of Breckenridge in November 1859. Spencer chose the name “Breckinridge” after John C. Breckinridge the 14th, Vice President of the United States, in the hopes of flattering the government and gaining a post office. Spencer succeeded in his plan, and a post office was built in Breckinridge; it was the first post office between the Continental Divide and Salt Lake City, Utah.
Two years later when John Breckinridge joined the Confederate Army, the outraged citizens voted to change the spelling of their town name. They swapped the first “i” with an “e” to make their home forever known as Breckenridge.
The town of Breckenridge was created to serve the gold miners working in the nearby communities of Blue River and Idaho Springs. The mines and mining have long since left the area, and tourism is now its primary industry.
Breckenridge Ski Resort opened on December 16, 1961, the vision of Bill Rounds from the Porter and Rounds Lumber Co., who wanted to bring skiing to the area. It opened with a few trails on Peak 8, a double chairlift, and a small T-Bar lift.
The Resort has experienced an incredible amount of growth and development over the years, way too much to mention here. However, one interesting fact is that in 1981 Breckenridge became the first ski recreation area in the world to install a High-Speed Detachable Quad Chairlift.
Today, Breckenridge Ski Resort is recognized far beyond the boundaries of the United States and is known as a world-class ski and snowboard facility that is geographically situated on five of the snow-capped peaks in the Ten Mile Range of the Southern Rocky Mountains. The peaks are simply known as Peak 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.
Breckenridge Ski Resort continues to be a family-friendly resort and has some of the best snow conditions in Colorado.
On the Slopes
- Breckenridge Ski Resort has above treeline skiing and snowboarding on Peak 6. Enjoy the intermediate terrain of Bliss and Elysian Fields. You can also enjoy more intermediate terrain on Monte Cristo, Lincoln Meadows, and Claimjumper found near Peak 7. Don’t forget about the Hike-to-Terrain and the family zones for skiing and snowboarding.
- You know the adage “a little something for everyone”; well at Breckenridge there is “a lot of something for everyone and every ability level.” There are over 1000 acres of bowl skiing and snowboarding. Let’s not forget to mention the spectacular views of the entire surrounding areas.
- Breckenridge Ski Resort has 4 terrain parks including a 22ft superpipe ready to provide you with an experience that will leave you wanting more. Each terrain park has something for every ability level. Freeway is the godfather of terrain parks at Breckenridge.
- The terrain park, Freeway and Park Lane are designed for experienced enthusiasts only. Powerline and Highway 9 are small parks that cater to new entrants attempting to gain the necessary basic skills needed to advance.
- Breckenridge Ski & Ride School is ready to meet your needs with qualified professional instructors, whether you are a novice on the slopes or the seasoned veteran looking to refine your technique. There are many programs and lessons available, ranging from children’s programs ages 3 -12 to women’s camps, group, private and specialty lessons.
Off the Slopes
- Breckenridge has an extensive list of lodging options, both on the mountain and in the town that will fit most budgets and lifestyles, everything from hotel rooms to condos, townhouses and mountain homes either close to the slopes or a short distance away.
- At Breckenridge Ski Resort, there are many choices for off-mountain activities for the entire family. There is ice-skating, both indoor and outdoor, as well as, Eric’s Arcade, Carter Hill for sledding and weekly events that occur throughout the season.
- If you are looking for a place for a quick snack or leisurely bite, dining choices are almost endless at Breckenridge; from on-mountain options such as Ski Hill Grill or The Maggie to a great selection of charming cafes, bustling breweries and fine dining in the town of Breckenridge.
- There is no shortage of shopping options at Breckenridge. There are numerous places on the mountain to buy logo wear, souvenirs, pants, jackets, new equipment and other items. There are also more than 200 shops in town including, galleries, clothing stores, specialty shops, and general merchandise.
- In Summit County you’ll find many retail shopping options including outlets malls along with lodging options ranging from hotels and motels, condos, luxury homes, and bed and breakfasts. Dining is also available from casual, fast food, and fine dining.
- Childcare is available for children from 8 weeks to 3 years. Staff members are trained in CPR, First Aid, and are dedicated to providing an awesome indoor or outdoor experience for your child. There are 3 locations on the mountain, Peak 8, the Village, and Beaver Run Child Care Centers.
- One of the many wonderful amenities featured in Breckenridge and Summit County are the Summit Stage Transit and the Free Ride Breckenridge system that are “free of charge” for all to use. The Summit Stage will get you to the Breckenridge transfer station, from this point the Free Ride Breckenridge” system services the town of Breckenridge.
- Airport transportation is available from several providers, including Epic Mountain Express from Denver Intl Airport or Eagle County Regional Airport near Vail.
Current Status: Closed
3398 ft / 1036 m
9600 ft / 2926 m
12998 ft / 3962 m
353 in / 897 cm
Total Trails: 187
Beginner: 21 (11%)
Intermediate: 58 (31%)
Advanced: 45 (24%)
Expert: 63 (34%)
Terrain Parks & Pipes: 4
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: Yes
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Parking: Free and Paid
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Eagle County CO , 72mi / 116km
Nearest Major City:
Denver CO, 82mi / 132km
Breckenridge CO, 3mi / 5km
Season Dates: Nov 12 to May 15
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 4:00pm: Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: No
Total Lifts: 35
Express-6 Chairs: 5
Express Quad Chairs: 6
Quad Chairs: 1
Triple Chairs: 1
Double Chairs: 6
Surface Lifts: 15
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Eagle County Airport
Distance: 72 mi / 116 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Denver Intl Airport
Distance: 106 mi / 171 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Central Reservations: 1-800-789-7669
Direct Phone: 970-453-5000
Snow Phone: 970-496-4111