Blackcomb Mountain in Whistler & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 5280ft/1609m, total trails 100+, closest airport 85mi/138km, lifts 15, & more. Blackcomb Mountain is located in beautiful Whistler, British Columbia, Canada. Blackcomb Mountain at Whistler Blackcomb opened for business on December 6, 1980 with just 5 triple chairlifts. This ski resort has grown significantly […]Read More
Blackcomb Mountain in Whistler & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 5280ft/1609m, total trails 100+, closest airport 85mi/138km, lifts 15, & more.
Blackcomb Mountain is located in beautiful Whistler, British Columbia, Canada. Blackcomb Mountain at Whistler Blackcomb opened for business on December 6, 1980 with just 5 triple chairlifts. This ski resort has grown significantly from those early days into one of the two mountains that make up the world class four season resort known simply as Whistler Blackcomb.
The resort is located 79mi/127km north of Vancouver, British Columbia alongside Highway 99. Blackcomb at Whistler Blackcomb is part of one of the largest ski resorts in North America. When Blackcomb Mountain installed the 7th Heaven T-Bar this gave the mountain bragging rights as the only ski area in North America to have a vertical drop of 1 mile (5280ft/1609m). For more than 25 years, Escape2ski has enjoyed the diversity of the slopes that are available on Blackcomb and whatever Mother Nature hands you in the way of conditions.
Whistler Blackcomb Resort held a great honor in 1991 of being the first ski resort outside of the United States to be ranked #1 in North America by a major USA ski magazine. Perhaps a little known fact is how the name Blackcomb was chosen as the name for the ski area. The layout of the mountain trails resembles the comb of a rooster and the rocks at the summit of the mountain are black, hence the name Blackcomb was created.
Whistler Mountain Stats
- Vertical Drop: 5020ft (1530m)
- Base Elevation: 2140ft (652m)
- Summit Elevation: 7160ft (2182m)
- Skiable Area: 4757 acres
- Total Lifts: 17+Peak2Peak Gondola
- Total Trails: 100+
Blackcomb Mountain Stats
- Vertical Drop: 5280ft (1609m)
- Base Elevation: 2214ft (675m)
- Summit Elevation: 7494ft (2284m)
- Skiable Area: 3414 acres
- Total Lifts: 15+Peak2Peak Gondola
- Total Trails: 100+
On the Slopes
- Whistler and Blackcomb were originally two separate resorts until they merged in 1997 to create one of the biggest and most exciting mountain resort companies in the world.
- Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains are linked by the Peak 2 Peak Gondola, which provides easy access between both mountain areas.
- When skiing or snowboarding on Blackcomb Mountain you will have an opportunity to experience terrain to match all skill levels. All the areas on Blackcomb just flow; each area is easily linked to another area.
- Despite what others mention about the weather, Escape2ski has experienced a range of weather depending on the time of year, everything from very cold temperatures and sunshine to continual snowfall with limited visibility and fresh powder.
- The 7th Heaven area of Blackcomb, which on a sunny day with spring like conditions, offers a spectacular view of neighbouring Whistler Mountain and as far away as Black Tusk, you won’t want to miss this view! For you trivia buffs, the 7th Heaven chair lift was the 7th chairlift installed on Blackcomb.
- For those looking for intermediate terrain, ride the Solar Coaster Express; get off of the chair and make your way into the Jersey Cream area. From there, you can either catch the Glacier Express into a bowl area or catch the Jersey Cream Express back to the top of Solar Coaster and continue your adventure to the bottom.
Off the Slopes
- At the end of your day, as you wind down the mountain you will need to make a decision where you’d like to end your day on the slopes - either the base of Blackcomb or Whistler Village - both are easy to reach and either area is a great place to stop and reflect on your day.
- The unique European-inspired village nestled at the base of Blackcomb Mountain has something to offer everyone, from world class dining to unique shops and lively cafés.
- Once you visit the mountain, you’ll have no shortage of great stories to share with your friends. One of Escape2ski’s favourite memories is skiing into May with endless sunshine, trails open to the village, t-shirts and tans. An epic day!
- As an option, you can choose to stay in one of the nearby communities that are part of the Municipality of Whistler. Each is easily connected to the village and the mountain by BC Transit, we suggest you check out their website found in the Helpful Links Section below for schedules and fare Information. Note: transit is free within Whistler Village proper and a fare is charged for transit to the outer limits.
- If you are looking for something completely different, experience the thrill of the Whistler Sliding Centre, the site of the bobsleigh, skeleton, and luge competitions for the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. Also, check out the tubing centre located on Blackcomb Mountain near Base Camp 2 for a day of thrills for the whole family.
Current Status: Closed
5280 ft / 1609 m
2214 ft / 675 m
7494 ft / 2284 m
8171 (Blackcomb 3414) acres
469 in / 1192 cm
Total Trails: 100+
Beginner: 15 (15%)
Intermediate: 55 (55%)
Advanced: 15 (15%)
Expert: 15 (15%)
Terrain Parks & Pipes: 3
Snow Cross: Yes
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: Yes
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Parking: Free and Paid
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Vancouver BC , 85mi / 138km
Nearest Major City:
Vancouver BC, 79mi / 127km
Whistler BC, at Base of the Mountain
Season Dates: Nov 26 to May 24
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
8:30am to 3:30pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: No
Total Lifts: 15+Peak2Peak Gondola
Express Quad Chairs: 6
Triple Chairs: 1
Surface Lifts: 6
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Vancouver Intl Airport
Distance: 85 mi / 138 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Bellingham Intl Airport
Distance: 128 mi / 206 km
Ranking: Limited Major Airline Use
Central Reservations: 1-888-403-4727
Direct Phone: 604-967-8950
Snow Phone: 604-932-4211