Apex Mountain Resort, British Columbia
Categories: Find Ski Resorts in Canada, Find Ski Resorts in Canada and United States
Apex Mountain Resort in BC and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2000ft/610m, total trails 68, closest airport 23mi/37km, lifts 4, lodging & more. The ski resort is located on Beaconsfield Mountain in the Okanagan region, west of Penticton, British Columbia, Canada. Skiing on what is presently known as Apex Mountain Resort dates all the […]Read More
Apex Mountain Resort in BC and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2000ft/610m, total trails 68, closest airport 23mi/37km, lifts 4, lodging & more.
The ski resort is located on Beaconsfield Mountain in the Okanagan region, west of Penticton, British Columbia, Canada. Skiing on what is presently known as Apex Mountain Resort dates all the way back to the 1940’s, when winter enthusiasts’ eager to make some turns in the snow, would hike in and spend a day on the slopes.
Apex remained undeveloped until the late 1950’s when a group from Penticton, British Columbia decided that Beaconsfield Mountain would be the perfect location for a ski hill. Finally, on Dec 10, 1961, after several years of planning, Apex Mountain Resort opened to the public with a single rope tow and only a few runs.
The ski area continued to expand and attract visitors to this hidden treasure, but it was not until 1979 that the current base area of the mountain was established. Here skiers and snowboarders can enjoy the western style theme that exists throughout the resort.
Apex Mountain Resort has grown into a full-service destination that prides itself on offering a family-friendly atmosphere with quality snow, great weather, incredible terrain, and friendly people.
On the Slopes
- One of several interesting features about the terrain at Apex Mountain Resort is that it only takes one chairlift to get you from the base to the summit. From the summit, you’ll be able to explore beginner and intermediate runs like Grandfather’s Trail and Ridge Run. If you are ready to take on a challenge, check out the advanced run of Great Wall and the double black chutes of K-2, Gunbarrel and Make My Day.
- Apex Mountain Resort has an impressive line-up of over 30 rails, C boxes, S rails, flat downs, rainbows and 10ft/3m to 50ft/15m tables in the Claim Jumper, which is an intermediate to advanced terrain park. The Prospector terrain park is a great beginner park. Finally, there is the Night Park, located under the lights and the Snow Cross Course for both skiers and snowboarders.
- Apex Mountain Resort has flexible hours to accommodate working families who may not be able to make it to the mountain during the day. The option of skiing and snowboarding under the lights on select trails happens Friday, Saturday and holidays from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
- The Snow School offers a variety of lessons and programs for both children and adults. Options range from the Adopt an Instructor program for ages 3 to 5 years, Ladies Wednesdays and both group and private lessons, which are a great way to get that one-on-one instruction to improve your technique.
- If you are new to the area or want to socialize with others the Apex Mountain Resort Mountain Host tour is a great way to experience the mountain and meet new friends. The tours are free and depart at 9:30 am and 1:00 pm daily from the Edge Bistro.
Off the Slopes
- Apex Mountain Resort features the ski-in/ski-out luxury of the Apex Mountain Inn located at the base of the mountain. The base area presents a warm and friendly vibe in a quaint village setting where everything you need is closer than you think. Consider a day at the spa would be a wonderful idea to soothe those tired muscles.
- There are many places to sit, relax, and enjoy a good selection of food and drinks after your day on the slopes or when taking a midday break. Options include The Rock Oven Bar and Grill, The Edge Bistro, The Long Shot Cafeteria and the legendary Gunbarrel Saloon.
- If you are looking for the latest gear or have forgotten something at home The Mountain Shop has all your outerwear needs, including goggles, hats, gloves, and souvenirs. The Trading Post is the general store on the mountain and has a good selection of grocery items, snacks and much more.
- If you’re not able to include a stay on the mountain then the nearby city of Penticton, BC is a perfect option. Here you will find a complete range of accommodations, dining (from casual to fine) and shopping at the many downtown boutiques and Cherry Lane Shopping Mall.
- Apex Mountain Resort is your complete winter destination getaway. In addition to skiing or snowboarding, you’ll find the Tube Park for family fun (Friday and Saturday nights the park stays open late). There is also the 1km Adventure Skating Loop - skate rentals are available or try hockey the original way, on an outdoor official size rink. Call to inquire about available times and cost.
- The Nickel Plate Nordic Centre offers 34mi/56km of groomed trails for both classic and skate skiing where you will enjoy some beautiful scenery throughout your day. Check out snowshoeing with the Hoodoo Adventure Company at 250-490-6084.
- Apex Mountain Resort has a licensed daycare facility known as the Rippin Rascals Daycare for children age 18 months to 5 years, which is an excellent option for parents who want to spend some time alone. Reservations are recommended.
Current Status: Open
2000 ft / 610 m
5197 ft / 1584 m
7197 ft / 2194 m
236 in / 600 cm
Total Trails: 68
Beginner: 11 (16%)
Intermediate: 33 (48%)
Advanced: 15 (23%)
Expert: 9 (13%)
Terrain Parks: 4
Snow Cross: Yes
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: No
Day Lodges: Yes
Penticton BC , 23mi / 37km
Nearest Major City:
Penticton BC, 23mi / 36km
Penticton BC, 23mi / 36km
Season Dates: Dec 2 to Apr 2
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 3:30pm : Fri-Sat & Holidays, 9:00am to 9:00pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: Select Nights
Total Lifts: 4
Express Quad Chairs: 1
Triple Chairs: 1
Surface Lifts: 2
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Penticton Regional Airport
Distance: 23 mi / 37 km
Ranking: Limited Major Airline Use
Kelowna Intl Airport
Distance: 69 mi / 110 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Central Reservations: 1-877-777-2739
Direct Phone: 250-292-8222
Snow Phone: 250-487-4848