Angel Fire Resort in New Mexico and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2077ft/633m, total trails 74, closest airport 158mi/255km, lifts 7, and more. Angel Fire Resort is located in the beautiful Moreno Valley surrounded by the Sangre de Cristo Mountain Range of Northern New Mexico. Folklore has it that the name Angel Fire was […]Read More
Angel Fire Resort in New Mexico and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2077ft/633m, total trails 74, closest airport 158mi/255km, lifts 7, and more.
Angel Fire Resort is located in the beautiful Moreno Valley surrounded by the Sangre de Cristo Mountain Range of Northern New Mexico. Folklore has it that the name Angel Fire was given to the area in 1845 by the well-known American trapper, guide and soldier Christopher “Kit” Carson, due to the glow from the Agua Fria Mountain Peak.
The population of this relatively unknown area began to increase around 1867 with the discovery of gold on Baldy Mountain. Within a year over 7000 people had moved into the area with the hopes of great prosperity. As hope faded, as with most resource-based areas, the population declined, and the area was once again transferred back to ranching and logging.
It was not until Roy and LaVena LeBus from Wichita Falls, Texas purchased 25,000 acres of ranch land in the Moreno Valley in the mid-1950s that change would come to the area. The LeBus family were in the cattle business, but by the mid-1960s their business was suffering. One night while sitting around the dinner table, their son George suggested they install a small rope tow to make it easier to get up the hill to ski. At that moment the idea to create a four season-resort was born.
Both Roy and LaVena were avid skiers and were positive that this new venture would bring skiers to the area. They quickly developed plans for the resort and Angel Fire Resort opened for business in 1966, with several trails and lifts, plus a day lodge.
As interest in this small destination resort spread quickly throughout New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, it put the small ski area on the map among destination skiers. Skier visits increased and the need for more lodging and services was required, as a result, the first block of condominiums were completed in 1971.
In 1972, the LeBus family sold Angel Fire Resort to the Arizona-Colorado Land and Cattle Company. Over the many decades, Angel Fire Resort has seen many new ownership groups but has managed to grow into a true four-season resort that features a permanent resident community, golf course, country club, small airport, and endless outdoor activities. Plus, great skiing and snowboarding on both the front side and back side of the mountain with terrain naturally divided for beginner, intermediates, and advanced skill levels.
Angel Fire Resort is tucked into this horseshoe-shaped area with a quaint village sitting at 8600ft/2621m and has been known for decades as a place where families can come and spend quality time together.
On the Slopes
- The front side is accessed by the Chile Express chairlift and provides summit to base skiing and snowboarding on fun intermediate terrain such as Free Flight and Prospector, along with access to the backside terrain.
- High Road and Dream Catcher are dedicated beginner trails located on the lower portion of the ski area and are a great place for families to have fun together and enjoy the beautiful view of the valley below.
- Angel Fire Resort offers hike-to-terrain on the backside on four advanced runs, C-4, Nitro, Detonator, and Baa-Da-Bing that provide a great ride, and when it snows, these runs are a fun-filled powder experience. The hike is about 10 minutes from the top of the Southwest Flyer Lift.
- Angel Fire Resort has night skiing and snowboarding from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm Fridays, Saturdays, and Holidays on 50 acres of trails, serviced by Lift 2, including Exhibition Run and several others for those who wish to enjoy an evening under the stars.
- Angel Fire Resort has two terrain parks where you can find rails, boxes, tabletops, jumps (small to large) and rollers. The Liberation Park lift operates Friday to Sunday.
- Angle Fire Resort Ski and Snowboard School has a dedicated team of professional instructors that provide the latest teaching techniques during adult lessons ranging from group, private, and first-timers. There is a vast selection of children’s options available along with adaptive lessons.
- Angel Fire Resort features several on-mountain accommodation options, there is The Lodge located in the heart of the resort where you will find rooms and suites, amenities, indoor pool, and hot tub, fitness center, plus free parking. There are also furnished homes and condos located throughout the community, and with your stay, you can enjoy the amenities at The Lodge.
Off the Slopes
- For those who prefer to bring their own lodging, the RV Resort Park is only a short distance away and provides many modern amenities, free Wi-Fi and concierge service.
- Angel Fire Resort has a vast selection of activities away from the slopes where you can still enjoy the great outdoors. There are Nordic Skiing and Snowshoeing on 12km/7mi of groomed trails. Rentals and lessons are available. Open Fri, Sat, and Sun from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm with extended hours during peak winter periods. Call 575-377-4488 for more info.
- There is the Tubing Hill near the village area with dedicated lanes that is open daily for family fun from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. Tickets are sold in one hour sessions, and certain restrictions apply. Kids’ Sledding for ages 12 and younger is located near the Country Club and opens on Fri, Sat, and Sun from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. Rentals of sleds and discs are available.
- Angel Fire Resort village provides shopping at Slopeside Sports and Winter Sports. Both have a selection of outerwear, logo wear, socks, helmets, and other accessories. Winter Sports is the service center for skis and snowboards and has qualified technicians.
- Dining at Angel Fire Resort ranges from family, casual to fine dining options at Elements in the Country Club. Legends Grill on the 2nd floor of The Lodge is a popular family place to gather. There is also The Village Haus, The Lift Café, El Jefe, and several others.
- The Snow Bear Camp & Day Care is available for ages 1 to 3. Children will have the opportunity to participate in activities such as arts, crafts, music and interact with other children. Also, an outdoor option is available for snow play and games. Reservations required, call 1-800-633-7463 option 1.
- Angel Fire Resort provides free parking lots and shuttles during the winter season to the main base area and also shuttles are available to guests staying in the condos along with service to the Country Club Nordic Center.
- Getting to Angel Fire Resort is easy with Roadrunner, an Airport Transportation Service provider. They offer convenient pick-up and drop-off times, a modern fleet and professional drivers to make your journey more comfortable. Call 505-424-3367 for more info.
Current Status: Closed
2077 ft / 633 m
8600 ft / 2621 m
10677 ft / 3254 m
210 in / 533 cm
Total Trails: 74
Beginner: 19 (26%)
Intermediate: 37 (50%)
Advanced: 18 (24%)
Expert: 0 (0%)
Terrain Parks & Pipes: 2
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Parking: Free and Paid
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Albuquerque NM , 158mi / 255km
Nearest Major City:
Taos NM, 25mi / 41km
Angel Fire NM, at Base of the Mountain
Season Dates: Dec 17 to Mar 20
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 4:00pm : Night Skiing Fri-Sat 4:00pm to 8:00pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: Select Nights
Total Lifts: 7
Express Quad Chairs: 2
Double Chairs: 3
Surface Lifts: 2
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Albuquerque Intl Sunport
Distance: 158 mi / 255 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Santa Fe Municipal Airport
Distance: 102 mi / 165 km
Ranking: Limited Flights per Day
Central Reservations: 1-800-633-7463
Direct Phone: 844-218-4107
Snow Phone: 575-377-4222