49 Degrees North Ski Area, Washington
Categories: Find Ski Resorts in Canada and United States, Find Ski Resorts in United States
49 Degrees North Ski Area, Washington & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 1851ft/564m, total trails 82, closest airport 65mi/105km, lifts 7 & more. 49 Degrees North Ski Area is located in the Colville National Forest, 10mi/16km east of the city of Chewelah, Washington. Chewelah’s early history can be traced back to mining, however, today, […]Read More
49 Degrees North Ski Area, Washington & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 1851ft/564m, total trails 82, closest airport 65mi/105km, lifts 7 & more.
49 Degrees North Ski Area is located in the Colville National Forest, 10mi/16km east of the city of Chewelah, Washington. Chewelah’s early history can be traced back to mining, however, today, ranching, dairy farming, and tourism; both summer and winter are the economic generators for the local area.
The history of skiing in the area dates back to 1935 when Chewelah Peak was used as a winter recreation area. Further expansion occurred in 1950 when a two storey mountain lodge was completed, and again in 1951, when a double chair was installed.
Unfortunately, due to economic challenges in 1968, the ski area was forced to close, and it would not be until 1972 that a new ski area would emerge a short distance from the original ski area. 49 Degrees North Ski Area opened with three lifts, a day lodge, and a few trails.
It was on Dec 8, 2006, that 49 Degrees North Ski Area would see the opening of the largest expansion in its history. The Sunrise Basin Area of the mountain added 500 acres of terrain, which included 20 new runs, and the Sunrise Fixed Grip Quad.
Another capital improvement project began in 2009 with 170 acres of glades and seven new runs created on Angel Peak, and finally, in late 2012, the double chair installation to the summit of Angel Peak was complete.
Today, 49 Degrees North Ski Area features 3 Basins on 2 Peaks and over 2300 acres of skiable terrain. During the long history of 49 Degrees North Ski Area it has remained committed to providing a family-friendly atmosphere where all are welcome.
On the Slopes
- 49 Degrees North Ski Area has a dedicated beginner area near the base that is serviced by the Payday Chairlift and Surface Lift. The upper portion of the ski area features the intermediate and advanced terrain of Tombstone, Blastface, and Last Chance.
- There is night skiing on select Saturday’s during the season from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm that features top to bottom skiing and snowboarding on a few trails.
- 49 Degrees North Ski Area is home to the upper and lower Cy’s Glades that are located between Chewelah and Angel Peak.
- There is one terrain park near the Grubstake Lift that is comprised of rails, boxes and other features during the season.
- The Snow School features many different lessons and programs, including the EZ Ski 1-2-3 and EZ Ride 1-2-3 for first-timers. Adult group and private options, plus lessons for ages 6 to 13, all taught by the team of qualified instructors.
- The Alpine Shop at the base is open for all your souvenir or sundry needs. Stop into the Boomtown Bar & Grill, Cy’s Café, next to Sunrise Chair and Quick Turns Café for breakfast and lunch.
- The Mountain Host Program is an all-volunteer group who have a passion for showing all the best of the 49 Degrees North Ski Area.
Off the Slopes
- RV Parking is available on a first-arrive basis, and for a fee skiers and snowboarders can stay at the base of the mountain. Numerous motels and lodges, such Nordlig, Mountain View and Chewelah Creek Inn can be found in Chewelah.
- The Nordic Center features 16mi/25km of groomed track set trails and a skate lane along with snowshoe trails. Rentals are available for both.
- Daycare is available for ages 2 to 6 and the rate includes snacks, games and many ways for children to socialize. Open Sat, Sun and Holidays.
- Numerous Restaurants, including the Sportsman’s Bar and Grill along with many gift shops can be found in Chewelah.
Current Status: Open
1851 ft / 564 m
3923 ft / 1196 m
5774 ft / 1760 m
301 in / 765 cm
Total Trails: 82
Beginner: 25 (30%)
Intermediate: 33 (40%)
Advanced: 20 (25%)
Expert: 4 (5%)
Terrain Parks: 1
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Spokane WA , 65mi / 105km
Nearest Major City:
Spokane WA, 59mi / 95km
Chewelah WA, 10mi / 16km
Season Dates: Dec 9 to Apr 9
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 3:30pm to Jan 20 then 4:00pm from Jan 21 : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: No
Total Lifts: 7
Express Quad Chairs: 1
Quad Chairs: 1
Double Chairs: 4
Surface Lifts: 1
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Spokane Intl Airport
Distance: 65 mi / 105 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Central Reservations: N/A
Direct Phone: 509-935-6649
Snow Phone: 509-935-6649