Sun Peaks Resort in British Columbia & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2894ft/882m, total trails 137, closest airport 39mi/63km, lifts 13 & more. Sun Peaks Resort is located about an hour northeast of the city of Kamloops, BC in the Columbia Mountain Range. The origins of Sun Peaks Resort date back to 1961 when […]Read More
Sun Peaks Resort in British Columbia & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2894ft/882m, total trails 137, closest airport 39mi/63km, lifts 13 & more.
Sun Peaks Resort is located about an hour northeast of the city of Kamloops, BC in the Columbia Mountain Range. The origins of Sun Peaks Resort date back to 1961 when the ski area opened to the public under the name Tod Mountain.
The idea to create a ski area came by chance to Don Whyte, a land surveyor who spotted the alpine peak known as Tod Mountain while driving north on Hwy 97 from Monte Lake, BC.
After that chance sighting and input from a dozen people including Dr. Bill McLaren, Tod Mountain became a reality when it opened with the Burfield Day Lodge, a chairlift and several trails.
Tod Mountain Ski Area was forced to close in 1968 due to severe fire damage to the lift equipment. With the repairs complete, Tod Mountain re-opened in December 1970 with much anticipation from the local and nearby skiing community.
The most significant change was yet to come for this family-friendly ski area when in 1992, the Nippon Cable Company Ltd of Japan purchased the assets of Tod Mountain and the wonderful transition from a well-known local ski facility to one that sits on the world’s stage started to take place.
One of the first orders of business was a name change, and with this in July 1993, the name Sun Peaks Resort emerged along with a master plan to transform the ski area into a four-season resort complete with a pedestrian-style village. Sun Peaks Resort quickly added new terrain, more lifts, including High-Speed Quads.
In 2002, the expansion on Mt Morrisey was completed and this added 17 new trails serviced by a new High-Speed Quad. Today, Sun Peaks Resort offers skiing and snowboarding on three mountains, Sundance, Mt Morrisey and Tod Mountain.
On the Slopes
- Sun Peaks Resort offers diverse terrain across its three mountains, including 17 gladed areas, a good selection of intermediate cruisers and 2 alpine bowls, Crystal and West. If you want to challenge yourself to a black diamond run near the Crystal Chair, check out Spillway or Headwalls.
- Sun Peaks Resort features the massive 10-acre Rockstar Terrain Park that stretches from the top of the Sundance Express chairlift all the way to the base area. This park has rails, boxes, barrels, drain tubs and big and small jumps along its descent.
- Sun Peaks Resort Sports School has a dedicated team of ski and snowboard instructors ready to get you on the slopes through the various lessons and programs, such as group, private, adaptive, learn to ski or snowboard, ladies’ clinics or even a mogul camp.
- An added feature is the complimentary Sun Host Mountain Tours that depart daily at 9:15 am and 1:00 pm from between the Sunburst Chair and Village Day Lodge, which is a great way to see the mountain through the eyes of an experienced guide.
- At the centre of the resort’s three mountains, Sun Peaks Resort offers a ski-through European-style village, which features shopping boutiques, restaurants, and a good selection of various types of accommodations that include ski-in/ski-out, hotels, condos and townhomes, chalets and even a dedicated lot for RVing and winter camping.
Off the Slopes
- The city of Kamloops is an alternate place to stay if staying on the mountain is not an option. Kamloops is a diverse city that provides many lodging options, dining, and shopping either in the downtown district or one of the three shopping malls.
- Sun Peaks Resort is your complete winter getaway offering a vast selection of activities when you are not on the slopes. The Tube Park located next to the Village Platter Lift is a great family-friendly activity, plus outdoor skating on an NHL size ice surface, drop-in hockey, snowmobiling, dog sledding and snowshoeing on your own or with a tour.
- Sun Peaks Resort also offers a Nordic Centre and extensive trail system that covers over 37km of groomed and track set trails that can take you to places like Little McGillivray Lake. The trail network provides trails to suit all ability levels and even has pet-friendly trails. Click here to see the Nordic Trail Map.
- Child-minding and Daycare services are available 7 days a week for children as young as 18 months. The Sundance Kids Centre is located at the base of the Sunburst Express Chairlift.
- Sun Peaks Resort offers a FREE transit service for transportation around the mountain base areas, with various stops. There is also a Ski & Ride Bus from Kamloops, which is available Saturday-Sunday and other select dates, for a fee.
- Airport Shuttles are convenient and are available to and from the Kamloops and Kelowna Airports throughout the ski and snowboard season. Simply call Sun Peaks Central Reservations at 1-800-807-3257 ext. 1 between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm or email email@example.com
Current Status: Closed
2894 ft / 882 m
3930 ft / 1198 m
6824 ft / 2080 m
220 in / 559 cm
Total Trails: 137
Beginner: 14 (10%)
Intermediate: 79 (58%)
Advanced: 34 (25%)
Expert: 10 (7%)
Terrain Parks & Pipes: 1
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Kamloops BC , 39mi / 63km
Nearest Major City:
Kamloops BC, 37mi / 60km
Kamloops BC, 37mi / 60km
Season Dates: Nov 18 to Apr 15
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
8:30am to 3:30pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: No
Total Lifts: 13
Express Quad Chairs: 3
Quad Chairs: 3
Triple Chairs: 1
Surface Lifts: 6
Within 20mi / 33km: No
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Distance: 39 mi / 63 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Kelowna Intl Airport
Distance: 131 mi / 211 km
Ranking: Least Convenient
Central Reservations: 1-800-807-3257
Direct Phone: 250-578-5399
Snow Phone: 250-578-7232