Red River Ski Area in New Mexico & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 1600ft/488m, total trails 63, closest airport 171mi/276km, lifts 7, and more. Red River Ski Area is located in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of New Mexico. The ski area is situated near the town of Red River, which has roots as […]Read More
Red River Ski Area in New Mexico & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 1600ft/488m, total trails 63, closest airport 171mi/276km, lifts 7, and more.
Red River Ski Area is located in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of New Mexico. The ski area is situated near the town of Red River, which has roots as a mining community dating back to the 1870s when miners flocked to the area in hopes of seeking their fortunes in gold.
Mining was not the economic generator they had hoped for as the quality of the ore was low and the costs of operation continued to rise. Finally, as with most mining towns, it all came to an end. However, some people decided to stay because they loved the area and continued searching for that nugget of richness.
They found it in the form of tourism to this beautiful area and the creation of the Red River Ski Area, which was realized when Stokes Bolton, an oilman installed the first chairlift constructed from old oil derricks. The original plan for the chairlift was to provide summer scenic rides to visitors.
However, winter sports enthusiasm was growing, and the decision was made to create a ski area that would attract continual tourism. On Nov 18, 1959, Red River Ski Area opened to the public with just two runs and a chairlift.
Red River Ski Area along with the town of Red River has grown into a four-season recreation area in the Southern Rockies of New Mexico. Although not widely known the town of Red River should be added to any conversation about great ski resort towns in North America.
Red River Ski Area is family owned and operated and they are dedicated to providing families with a great experience both on and off the mountain.
On the Slopes
- The terrain at Red River Ski Area is a perfect mix of beginner, intermediate and advanced runs to suit all levels of skiers and snowboarders. The Gold Rush trail is a wide open area dedicated to beginners where those new to the slopes can gain some confidence.
- The intermediate terrain of Broadway, offers fun for everyone, and on the lower portion of the front side of the ski area is a trail known simply as The Face, a black diamond trail that has earned a reputation for its advanced terrain.
- When Mother Nature doesn’t cooperate, the snowmaking system at Red River Ski Area has the capability of providing coverage to 85% of the mountain.
- Red River Ski Area has three terrain parks located on various parts of the mountain. Each terrain park offers rails, boxes, and other jibs. Pot O Gold located on Gold Rush Hill is a great place to start if you are a newcomer to terrain parks. The more advanced parks of Hollywood and Snowcross are located on the mid and upper mountain and are designed for experienced park enthusiasts.
- The Red River Ski and Ride School have qualified instructors who are ready to help you learn the latest techniques. There are many lesson options available from youth to group, private, and adult, as well as, a program for intermediate skiers wanting to sharpen their technique.
Off the Slopes
- Red River Ski Area has no accommodations, but the town of Red River, located at the bottom of the mountain has a vast selection of lodging options to meet your need. It is also home to many restaurants and several shops to please the shopper looking for gifts, ski wear or souvenirs.
- Red River Ski Area has three places to stop for a break and enjoy some food and a few laughs. The popular Lift House and the Ski Chalet are located at the base, and Ski Tip is found at the top of the mountain.
- Red River Ski Area plays host to Torchlight Parade and Fireworks on Saturday evenings and special holidays. Also, make sure to visit the tubing center, which operates daily beginning at 4:15 pm. Note: tubing is available in 1-hour sessions.
- Red River Ski Area provides the Buckaroo Child Care for ages 6 months to 4 years. Child Care is open daily and also offers a snow play area. Reservations are suggested.
- The Red River Miner’s Transit provides “Free” year-round transit service around the town of Red River. If you are staying in town, this is a great option to driving your vehicle to the mountain. Service is offered daily.
Current Status: Open
1600 ft / 488 m
8750 ft / 2667 m
10350 ft / 3155 m
214 in / 544 cm
Total Trails: 63
Beginner: 20 (32%)
Intermediate: 24 (38%)
Advanced: 19 (30%)
Expert: 0 (0%)
Terrain Parks & Pipes: 3
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: No
Adaptive Ski Programs: No
Day Lodges: Yes
Albuquerque NM , 171mi / 276km
Nearest Major City:
Taos NM, 37mi / 60km
Red River NM, at Base of the Mountain
Season Dates: Nov 23 to Mar 17
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 4:00pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: No
Total Lifts: 7
Quad Chairs: 1
Triple Chairs: 3
Double Chairs: 1
Surface Lifts: 2
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Albuquerque Intl Sunport
Distance: 171 mi / 276 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Santa Fe Municipal Airport
Distance: 116 mi / 187 km
Ranking: Limited Flights per Day
Central Reservations: 1-800-331-7669
Direct Phone: 575-754-2223
Snow Phone: 575-754-2223