Powder Mountain Ski Resort in Utah & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2522ft/769m, total trails 167, closest airport 62mi/100km, lifts 9, & more. Powder Mountain Ski Resort is located on land that was settled by Frederick Cobabe and used for ranching during the early 1900’s. The idea of creating a ski facility came from […]Read More
Powder Mountain Ski Resort in Utah & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 2522ft/769m, total trails 167, closest airport 62mi/100km, lifts 9, & more.
Powder Mountain Ski Resort is located on land that was settled by Frederick Cobabe and used for ranching during the early 1900’s. The idea of creating a ski facility came from a brief discussion between Dr. Alvin Cobabe (Fred’s son) and friends during a horseback outing along Lightning Ridge. They suggested that the terrain featured on the family’s land would be perfect for skiing.
So Dr. Alvin, who had already acquired his father’s land, began to accumulate adjacent acreage to support his vision of operating a ski resort. On February 12, 1972, Dr. Alvin witnessed his dream become a reality as Powder Mountain Ski Resort opened on the Sundown Peak area with a chairlift, several trails, night skiing, and an outdoor barbecue that served as the concession area.
The following season, the Main Lodge and Sundown Lodge were constructed along with the addition of the new Timberline chairlift. Over the decades Powder Mountain Ski Resort has continued to expand not only by adding additional terrain but with new lifts and services.
One amazing feature that exists at Powder Mountain Ski Resort, which truly differentiates it from other resorts, is that it hosts in-bounds Snowcat Single Rides. For an additional fee to the regular lift ticket price, you can access Lightning Ridge, Rain Tree Snowcat and new for the 2016/17 winter season, Lefty’s Canyon Snowcat. Note: Snowcat operations are dependent on Mother Nature.
On the Slopes
- Powder Mountain Ski Resort has over 8000 acres of terrain that favours all skiing and snowboarding skill levels. The Sundown Lift area is home to skiing every night from 3 pm until 9 pm.
- The Sundown area features a day lodge, terrain park and long groomers like Kwick Draw, Confidence, and Dead Horse. The Hidden Lake, Timberline, and now Mary’s Lift areas are also popular areas with incredible scenery, challenging steeps, and long groomers.
- Powder Mountain Ski Resort is home to the Sundown Terrain Park, which is open to 9 pm and the Hidden Lake Terrain Park, located near the Hidden Lake Express Chairlift which is the larger of the two parks.
- Visit the Snowsports School, where you will discover a dedicated team of instructors. There are many programs and lesson types available, ranging from Powder Club for ages 6 to 12 years, group and private lessons, Women’s Ski Program every Tuesday at 10 am, Locals Programs, and the Burton Learn to Ride Program.
- The ski resort also hosts a Ladies Night every Wednesday from mid-January to mid-February from 3 pm to 9 pm at the Sundown Lift.
- Powder Mountain Ski Resort offers an opportunity for all to enjoy their slopes with the support of Ogden Valley Adaptive Sports who is pleased to operate and offer programs to anyone who requires extra assistance to enjoy the snow.
- If you are new to Powder Mountain Ski Resort and would like to see the mountain and all its beauty, the Powder Mountain Complimentary Tour departs from the Mountain Adventure Yurt at 10 am and 1 pm daily.
Off the Slopes
- The lodging at Powder Mountain Ski Resort is spread throughout the mountain. The Columbine Inn is a slope-side option when you can just want to walk out your door to the slopes. Other options include Sundown Condos or a selection of luxury mountain cabins and homes.
- Powder Mountain also hosts the Timberline Lodge, Hidden Lake Lodge, and Sundown Lodge where you can stop and enjoy a meal before heading back to the slopes or après ski in the Powder Keg with live music.
- There are several small retails shops, where you can buy new gear or souvenir t-shirt to remember your time at Powder Mountain.
- If staying on the mountain is not an option for you, only a short distance away in Eden there are several types of lodging options. As an alternative, you can also stay in Ogden, which is about an hour away. Here you’ll find many lodging options such as hotels, motels, B&B’s as well as Airbnb’s.
- Restaurants in both Eden and Ogden, range from the locally owned in Eden to the well-known chains and independents in Ogden. Also, shopping can be found in both areas with a good selection of local favorites along with well-known big box stores in Ogden.
- Looking for a different adventure while visiting Powder Mountain Ski Resort, check out the multi-use trail at the top of Hidden Lake Lift where you can use fat bikes, cross-country ski, snowshoe and even going hiking. The trail is open depending upon current weather conditions and has a fee of $10.00 or free to season pass holders.
- Transit to and from Powder Mountain Ski Resort is available with the Utah Transit Authority.
- The on-mountain shuttle will take you from the Sundown lift area up to Timberline Lodge main area. Another feature is the Powder Country Shuttle will pick-up valid lift ticket holders from designated pick-up areas along the main road leading to the ski resort who are skiing or snowboarding on off-piste terrain.
Current Status: Closed
2522 ft / 769 m
6900 ft / 2103 m
9422 ft / 2872 m
8464 (Lift Serviced 7957) acres
500 in / 1270 cm
Total Trails: 167
Beginner: 41 (25%)
Intermediate: 67 (40%)
Advanced: 55 (33%)
Expert: 4 (2%)
Terrain Parks & Pipes: 2
Snow Cross: Yes
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Salt Lake City UT, 62mi / 100km
Nearest Major City:
Ogden UT, 20mi / 32km
Eden UT, 8mi / 13km
Season Dates: Dec 24 to Apr 8
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 4:30pm : Sundown Peak 9:00am to 9:00pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: Nightly
Total Lifts: 9
Express Quad Chairs: 1
Quad Chairs: 4
Triple Chairs: 1
Surface Lifts: 3
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Distance: 62 mi / 100 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Central Reservations: N/A
Direct Phone: 801-745-3772
Snow Phone: N/A - visit website for report