Kicking Horse Mountain Resort in BC and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 4133ft/1260m, total trails 120, closest airport 177mi/284km, and more. Kicking Horse Mountain Resort is located just outside the town of Golden, British Columbia in the Purcell Mountain Range and now serves as a major economic contributor to the town of Golden. The […]Read More
Kicking Horse Mountain Resort in BC and Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 4133ft/1260m, total trails 120, closest airport 177mi/284km, and more.
Kicking Horse Mountain Resort is located just outside the town of Golden, British Columbia in the Purcell Mountain Range and now serves as a major economic contributor to the town of Golden.
The town of Golden is surrounded by three mountain ranges and lies near the Columbia, and Kicking Horse Rivers of British Columbia. Golden’s roots are forged in logging and as a hub for the Canadian Pacific Railroad. Today, the local economy is also supported by tourism.
Long before the emergence of Kicking Horse Mountain Resort, there was a local ski area that was owned by the town of Golden that was known as Ski Whitetooth, which opened with a chairlift and three runs in 1986.
After operating for 11 years, the ski area was in need of a master plan that would foster the growth of this local favorite. Ski Whitetooth was sold with the help of Oberto Oberti, a Vancouver Architect to Ballast Nedam, a Dutch construction, and engineering company.
Under new ownership, a master plan was created that would significantly expand the vertical drop, add new lifts and additional terrain, plus create a base area village. A new name was chosen for the area, Kicking Horse Mountain Resort, which opened to the public on December 8, 2000. The name Kicking Horse was chosen due to the proximity of the Kicking Horse River along with the Kicking Horse Pass.
Kicking Horse Mountain Resort is a four-season resort that known throughout the ski and snowboard industry for its incredible terrain, quaint village and a place where families can come to spend time together.
Kicking Horse Mountain Resort is also part of what is known as the Powder Highway of British Columbia, which is a collection of 8 Ski Resorts, 9 Nordic Centres, 9 Heli-Skiing operations, and 10 Snowcat skiing and snowboarding operations.
Kicking Horse Mountain Resort has been owned and operated by Resorts of the Canadian Rockies since 2011, a private ski operator from Canada that takes pride in offering a great experience to visitors any time of the year.
On the Slopes
- Kicking Horse Mountain Resort is a combination of two distinct mountain areas. The upper portion is the perfect destination for those advanced/expert skiers or snowboarders that want a real challenge while the lower portion is made up of a collection of fairly gentle trails that welcome all ability levels.
- The ski resort features four bowls, Crystal Bowl, Bowl Over, Feuz Bowl, and Super Bowl. Worth noting are the number of inbound chutes, at 85 this is considered to be one of the largest collection of inbound chutes in North America.
- The longest run at Kicking Horse Mountain Resort is named, “It’s a Ten”, which is most appropriate because it’s 10km in length, and the great news is that everyone can enjoy ride due to its designation as a green run.
- Not be overlooked is the fact that Kicking Horse Mountain Resort is a family-friendly resort, which includes a family skiing or riding zone, located on the lower mountain and easily accessed by its own quad chairlift.
- Kicking Horse Mountain Resort has one terrain park located near the lower section of the mountain serviced by the Catamount Quad chairlift. Here you will find rails, boxes, and other features.
- The Kicking Horse Winter Sports School has a dedicated team of well-trained ski and snowboard instructors ready to provide adult, youth and kid lessons, multi-week programs, private family lessons and group lessons.
- Kicking Horse Mountain Resort is also home to the Big Mountain Centre that provides custom learning from top instructors on the latest techniques. They also offer a Big Mountain Tour Experience for a fee to get you familiar with the mountain terrain.
Off the Slopes
- The quaint village at Kicking Horse Mountain Resort is made up of a collection of ski-in/ski-out accommodation, ranging from boutique hotels, condos, and townhomes to cafés, restaurants, and pubs.
- A highlight of the resort is their claim to offer the “most elevated dining experience” in Canada. Take the Golden Eagle Gondola to 4000 ft where you will find the Eagle Eye restaurant, known for its culinary delights and spectacular views of 5 National Parks.
- A selection of off-mountain activities are also available including, tubing at the Tube Zone located in Kicking Horse Plaza with a dedicated lift, snowshoeing on the 1.2mi/2km and 2.5mi/4mi loops, snowmobiling, ice skating, telemark skiing, and indoor rock climbing.
- The nearby town of Golden also provides hotel and motel lodging options, along with lodges and cabins, as well as a variety of shopping, entertainment, and dining options.
- The Dawn Mountain Nordic Centre operated by the Golden Nordic Ski Club is located near the ski resort and has 20mi/33km of groomed trails available.
- Kicking Horse Daycare is available for ages 18 months to 5 years. This is a place where your young ones will be introduced to a wide range of activities.
- Kicking Horse Mountain Resort provides an express shuttle service from Calgary International Airport on Wednesday and Saturday during the winter season. Call 1-800-258-7669 for more info.
Current Status: Open
4133 ft / 1260 m
3900 ft / 1189 m
8033 ft / 2449 m
256 in / 650 cm
Total Trails: 120
Beginner: 24 (20%)
Intermediate: 24 (20%)
Advanced: 54 (45%)
Expert: 18 (15%)
Terrain Parks & Pipes: 1
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: No
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: No
Day Lodges: Yes
Calgary AB , 177mi / 284km
Nearest Major City:
Revelstoke BC, 100mi / 160km
Golden BC, 9mi / 14km
Season Dates: Dec 7 to Apr 14
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
9:00am to 4:00pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: No
Total Lifts: 6
Quad Chairs: 2
Double Chairs: 1
Surface Lifts: 2
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
Calgary Intl Airport
Distance: 177 mi / 284 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Canadian Rockies Intl Airport
Distance: 167 mi / 268 km
Ranking: Least Convenient
Central Reservations: 1-866-754-5425
Direct Phone: 250-439-5425
Snow Phone: 1-866-754-5425 option 2