Bear Mountain Ski Area in California & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 1665ft/507m, total trails 32, closest airport 63mi/101km, lifts 12, & more. Bear Mountain Ski Area is located near the quaint resort city of Big Bear located near the eastern shores of Big Bear Lake in the San Bernadino National Forest of Southern […]Read More
Bear Mountain Ski Area in California & Escape2ski provides info on; vertical drop 1665ft/507m, total trails 32, closest airport 63mi/101km, lifts 12, & more.
Bear Mountain Ski Area is located near the quaint resort city of Big Bear located near the eastern shores of Big Bear Lake in the San Bernadino National Forest of Southern California. This resort city has a base elevation of 6772ft/2064m above sea level.
The Big Bear Lake area is known as a four-season destination that provides snow sports during the winter, and fishing, hiking, camping, and boating throughout the other seasons of the year. Due to its location, the climate is very favorable, which makes it a perfect destination any time of the year for those who want a change from the busy city environment.
Bear Mountain Ski Area opened in 1943, as Moonridge Ski Area with a few trails and a lift. By the late 1960’s, the ski area had grown and at this point, it was purchased by Bill Strickland and Fred Goldsmith who were ski instructors from a nearby ski area. They promptly renamed the ski area to Goldmine Ski Area.
Throughout the ski areas history, along with growth and expansion, came the struggles with Mother Nature and the lack of snow which resulted in many lean years. This resulted in several ownership changes and in 1988 S-K-I Ltd purchased the ski area and renamed it Bear Mountain Ski Area, to which it still holds this name.
Today, Bear Mountain Ski Area has grown to provide skiing and snowboarding on four mountain peaks, Silver Mountain, Goldmine Mountain, Showdown and the 8805ft/2684m Bear Peak.
Since 1988, there have been several more changes in ownership, but the one thing that remains constant is the Bear Mountain Ski Area has earned a reputation throughout the ski industry as a family-friendly place that provides one of the best terrain parks experiences found anywhere.
On the Slopes
- Bear Mountain Ski Area has terrain to satisfy every level of skier or snowboarder who ventures onto the slopes. There is a large learning area where you’ll have time to develop your skills before making your way to the top of Chair 8 and the black and double black terrain of Geronimo, which is also the longest run on the mountain at 1.5mi/3km.
- Bear Mountain Ski Area is an excellent choice when it comes to the terrain park scene. The mountain has developed a great reputation for its many terrain parks which host over 120 jumps, more than 80 jibs, and two superpipes. You will even find a Skill Builder Park designed to support your continuous improvement.
- On a Bear Mountain Ski Area powder day, locals check out the over 550 acres of undeveloped canyon terrain, including Deer, Goldmine and Bow Canyons, which serve up some of the best tree skiing and inbounds resort riding in Southern California.
- The Bear Mountain Ski and Snowboard School has a committed team of professionals ready to assist you with learning the latest techniques through their adult and private lessons along with kids programs known as Pioneer, age 4, Explorer, ages 5-7, and Adventurer, ages 8-12.
- At Bear Mountain Ski Area, you will discover at least seven places for food and beverages, like BBQ in the Park, Boneyards, and many more. Take in the California sunshine and enjoy some quality time with your friends or family.
- Stop by Big Bear Sports or the Village Shop where you will find a good selection of gear, shirts, sweaters, souvenirs, and more. At the base, there is the rental shop for all your skiing or snowboarding needs.
Off the Slopes
- Bear Mountain Ski Area has no mountainside lodging but the city of Big Bear Lake, which is very close, has a great selection of places to stay while visiting the area. You can choose from private homes and cabins, hotels, resort cabins, bed and breakfasts, condos, and even hostels.
- Time away from the slopes can be spent in what is known as The Village, located in the heart of the city of Big Bear Lake. Here you will discover shopping in the many clothing, jewelry, fine arts and crafts stores along with souvenir shops.
- The city of Big Bear Lake is a great place for family entertainment that can include a visit to the Bowling Barn, Village Theater and there is also nightlife for adults. Dining for breakfast, lunch, and dinner can be found at casual family spots to fine dining, including Italian, Thai, and more.
- The nearby Snow Summit Ski Resort has the Grizzly Ridge Tube Park that is fun for the entire family.
- Bear Mountain Ski Area and Snow Summit Ski Resort may not be geographically connected, but they are when it comes to sharing lift tickets. One lift ticket gains you access to both ski areas, and you can ski or snowboard for free on your birthday. ID is required.
- Snow Summit Ski Resort and Bear Mountain Ski Area provide a “FREE” Inter-Resort Express, a 10-minute shuttle service, which departs each resort every 30 minutes. Your lift ticket is valid at both ski areas.
- There is also Mountain Transit which provides scheduled service throughout the city of Big Bear Lake, Running Springs, and Lake Arrowhead.
Current Status: Open
1665 ft / 507 m
7140 ft / 2176 m
8805 ft / 2683 m
100 in / 254 cm
Total Trails: 32
Beginner: 5 (15%)
Intermediate: 5 (15%)
Advanced: 13 (40%)
Expert: 9 (30%)
Terrain Parks & Pipes: 5
Snow Cross: No
Super Pipe: No
Half Pipe: Yes
Jib Park: Yes
Ski & Snowboard School: Both
Rentals & Repairs: Yes
Retail Shops: Yes
Children’s Ski Programs: Yes
Women's Ski Programs: Yes
Adaptive Ski Programs: Yes
Day Lodges: Yes
Ontario CA , 63mi / 101km
Nearest Major City:
San Bernardino CA, 43mi / 73km
Big Bear Lake CA, 1mi / 2km
Season Dates: Nov 24 to Apr 14
Skiing & Snowboarding: Both
Open Days: Open Daily
Hours of Operation:
8:30am to 4:00pm : Sat-Sun, 8:00am to 4:30pm : Hours maybe subject to change.
Night Skiing: No
Total Lifts: 12
Express Quad Chairs: 2
Quad Chairs: 1
Triple Chairs: 2
Double Chairs: 3
Surface Lifts: 4
Within 20mi / 33km: Yes
Closest Airport(s)What our Convenience Rankings™ mean
LA/Ontario Intl Airport
Distance: 63 mi / 101 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Palm Springs Intl Airport
Distance: 88 mi / 142 km
Ranking: Most Convenient
Central Reservations: 909-866-5841
Direct Phone: 909-866-5766
Snow Phone: 1-888-786-6481